Stocking Question

jrd77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In my 45 gallon tank I have 3 bengal loaches (about 3.5" each), 1 ropefish (about 7"), 1 dragon fish (about 6"), 6 red eye tetras (about 1.5" each) and a figure 8 puffer (about 2"). So I have about 34.5, we'll say 35" of fish in the tank. That means I have 10 inches left...

What else would work in this tank?

I'm looking for something that is not a bottom dweller because I'm full on bottom...
I need something that is not too small so it doesn't get eaten...
I'd like to have some movement, an active fish...
And danios are out b/c by fiance says they remind him of minnows that he fishes with...
And I'm afraid to get any gouromis with the long things that hang from them b/c my loaches acan be a little nippy...

What to do?????

:fun:

How about looking at a few barbs?

These fish are not too small quite fairly active compared to most fish:-

The following I know are active are:-

Rosy Barbs
Spanner Barbs
Or even tiger barbs but they can be a bit aggresive at times.

I put a half dose of salt in my tank, so for eevery 10 gallons I put a good tablespoon of salt. Is that not enough for them?

Are all those fish fully grown then? I suggest you find the puffer a new tank. As for tiger barbs being fin nippers, puffers are just as bad and as long as you keep the barbs in a group of at least 7 (not possible in your case though - you'd be over-stocked) there should be no trouble from them.

No puffer is a community fish. The most friendly ( :/ ) is a south american puffer, but as SirMinion says, thats like saying an aligator is more friendly than a crocodile. I say again, No puffer is a community fish. Also, yes a Figure 8 is a true brackish fish and needs a salinity of 1.004-1.007. As fin nippers go, puffers are far worse, it starts with the fins, progresses to the eyes and then the fish are dead, thats a hard learned fact.

Jon

Now I'm just worried about my puffer. Its still eating but is staying around the top of the tank. I guess I need to go purchase a hydrometer...

I think you may have another problem with your set up so far -- generally people are warned not to keep loaches in a tank with salt. I'm no expert here, but I'd suggest posting to the cyprinids board to find out if your loaches will tolerate salt or not. I'm guessing that the answer will be no. Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news, but you wouldn't want them living that way, I'm sure.

As far as the general stocking question is concerned, are the sizes you listed the lengths of your fish currently or the expected adult sizes? If they are the current sizes of your fish, you should probably not add anything else until you figure out how big all of these critters will be when full grown. (The ropefish gives it away -- these fish can easily get to be 18" long in a tank.) And when you say dragon fish, do you mean a violet goby or something else? Just asking, because dragon fish can mean different things to different people.

Anyhow, once you add up the adult lengths of all your fish, you might find yourself to be (eventually) overstocked. Unless you have a larger tank ready for growing the big fish out, you probably won't want to add anything else. You may even have to re-home something eventually.

I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down hard on you, it's just better to think about this stuff now, before you start losing fish or your tank crashes. Take a deep breath, promise yourself not to go to the fish store for at least a week, and start doing some research on all of the fish you own (or want to own!). Then you'll be able to make a safe and informed decision for yourself. And if you find that you want (or have) more fish than your tank can handle, feel free to post about it or PM me -- we'll all share your pain! :D (Not like most of us don't feel that way every day...)

I hate to be the bad guy... :whistle:

Good luck,
Pamela

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back