stocking question

norbie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
if you look at my sig you'll see my tank specs.

i recently had 3 guppies die on me, because the female guppy who is left was picking them off by biting at them.

i would like to get some more fish as she is behaving too much like the corys and is bottom feeding rather than top feeding like she used to.

what do you think i should get that she cant really hurt?

mollies? platies?

my sister said i might be able to have a red tail shark. is this ok in my size tank? are they easy to look after?

thanks for any advice in advance :)

No red tailed shark. In fact your tank is almost stocked. A couple more guppies and that should be it.

Red tail black sharks need at leats 50 gallons IMO. It would most likely kill every fish in there and then try to jump out

You could keep a female betta in with her though
Platies would work too.

Oh I love female bettas, they have a lot of personality. Mine feeds from my hand. IMO I'd go with the betta.

thanks for the replies.

i wont get a shark then - i kinda thought my sister was aiming too high when she said!

are bettas easy to keep then? and just the one?

You could also get a couple of platies or just one male swordtail (females get bigger) or a couple of (top-dwelling ;) ) honey gouramies. Bettas are very easy to keep and one female alone will do fine. I wouldn't reccomend getting any more than one as you couldn't fit more than a couple and groups of bettas should be at least 4 fish so that the they don't fight each other. They are usualy peaceful to everything else.

Oh congrats! :D They are lovely. Realy they are quite easy to care for and peaceful. Just make sure they are getting food as some fish can out-compete them until they realise they need to move a bit faster :p but don't be afraid if they take a few days to settle down. They like having floating cover as well or at least plants to hide in (fake is fine) but make sure they can still get to the surface for air. That's about it realy. :) Have fun with them.

thankyou Sylvia :)

I am just abou to go and get them!

hectic recently! cory died this morning (unknown) and guppy gave birth yesterday!

the ones im getting are:

'red dwarf honey gouramis'

are these what you first suggested or are they smaller?

Are the honeys or dwarfs?:p I'm not sure as the names are used interchangeably. It gets very confusing without the scientific names. They will either be colisa chuna/sota (honey gouramies) or colisa lalia (dwarf gouramies). It'll be a color morph of one or the other (or they were just given a fancy name :p). Either way, a couple of them would make good additions but if they are dwarfs, they are slightly larger at 2" (honeys are between 1.5-2") and slightly more territorial. There is also a small chance you are getting hybrids but the same still applies.

oh right - all i know is that the ones im getting are really small.

i thought the ones you might have suggested were bigger

they look nice though :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back