STOCKING A 15 GALLON TANK

happyadd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Any advise on what I want to keep in my tank when it finally cycles.
Its 15 US Gallon Hexagonal tank with external filter.

4 Neons maybe danios (heard neons are likely to get eaten)
1 Angel
2 Rams/Keyholes
1 Bottom Feeder.

Is that OKAY, or will it be a little overcrowded?

It will be too small for keyholes and the angel i'm afraid, theey may look small in the shops but both these fish grow pretty big. I would get the neons, pair of german rams should be okay and they a pair of small loaches. (like the chain loach)

The general rule is one inch of fish per gallon. If you are careful you can go over that but I would wait untill the system has matured for about four to six months. Angel fish should be kept in larger deeper tanks and can get up to six inches. A few more tetras or Zebra Danios would be a good fit. Do not get a pleco for the bottom feeder.(mine is starting to out grow my 112liter (29gal))HTH

What about a siamesse fighting fish, I think some people refer to them as Bettas instead of the angel?

I want a single fish that will really stand out!

I think a single Betta would be okay but not sure about the other fish being fin nippers or not. Check with the good people on the betta forum to be safe.

Don't get danios first of all because they need more room to swim.
Keyholes and angels get too big for a hexagonal 15 gallon.

If you want a fish that'll stand out and do well in your tank, go for a gourami - a (male - brighter colors - colisa lalia) dwarf would work (but they can be fragile and are the smallest) or a banded gourami (colisa fasciata) or a thick-lipped gourami (colisa labiosa) or a pearl gourami (trichogaster leeri) or possibly an opaline, three-spot or golden gourami (trichogaster trichopterus) provided the tankmates are suitable.

I would personaly go for either colisa fasciata or colisa labiosa in this instance as both get to about 3", will not be aggressive towards tank-mates, are relatively hardy fish and are very colorful. You could combine this fish with a pair of rams, 6 or so neons and a couple of small loaches such as botia histrionica (gold zebra loach) which gets to 2.5" or maybe a couple of otos which would also take care of algae and grow to 2". Pygmy cory cats also stay small but they aren't realy bottom-dwelling. A small plec you could get in place of a couple of loaches/otos would be a bristlenose as these get to about 4".

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back