So Interested In Snails!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

woodstock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
(To moderators / admins, apologies for my hastiness. If you've seen my other thread in the Invertebrates section, would it be much to ask to move the thread here, as I cannot do it?)

Hi! And Like my title says, I'm interested in snails. More specifically, nerite snails. I do plan on keeping them with bettas! And this might be very soon as well.

There are some main concerns that I just can't seem to find anywhere :crazy:

LIKE...

1. How will I know if the poor thing is starving? I don't know how often to feed them. And how to tell if they're starving. If I fed them an algae wafer, WILL they consume the whole thing? Or stop when they're done? Will it overfeed itself?(And how long will it take to rot, as I may feed them as night and just go to sleep. Lol)

2. Are they slow? Are they fast? In just a general opinion, I'd like to know, thank you!

3. Are there any concerns I should know?

4. My tank isn't having an algae issue, however, I would still like nerite snails anyway (mystery / apples aren't appealing to me... also because I'd like to have more than one. Breeding outbreak, no thank you!) Should I keep lights on more often for the sake of them, or would that be too much for the bettas? They're on approximately 8hours a day.

5. I do plan on keeping a seperate bucking in direct sunlight, with rocks (and possibly glass marbles) so algae can grow on it, and I can plop it into the tank for the snails to feed off of. How fast can algae grow once I do this? And will algae grow on almost anything? This means, will they grow on GLASS MARBLES? I'm sure they'll grow on aquarium rocks, right?

6. They will go into a 5 gallon tank (number of bettas to be decided). Should I get two, or one? I'd love two, though. Unless they're hungry critters who need algae daily, daily, daily.

Thank you very much for the time! ^^

Most reactions

Back