snail problem

uk28scots

Reaction score
today i noticed 2 snails in my tank (which has been set up for 3 months) about 5mm in size. what can i do to get rid of them? any ideas? and where did they come from my plants or bogwood?

i also noticed something on the underside of my bogwood it looks like a piece of cotton wool, you know like the fluffy things that spiders sometimes make, any ideas what it could be?

any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated

All I can answer is that the snails come with the plants that you buy. I now have about 7 snails in my tank which have been on my new plants. Snails are not a problem until you start seeing them by the dozens. They can be quite helpfull little creatures.

probably the plants best to cheque them before u put them in.
I usuall skwish them with my finger as i find them.
They did get out of hand in my tank once so i bought a pair of clown loach that did the trick, make sure your tank big enought for them becarse they can grow quite big , some of the smaller botia species might do the trick.
happy hunting

If the snails do get out of hand and you don't have a big enough tank for clown loach then a piece of lettuce overnight will attract the snails and in the morning quickly pull out the lettuce leaf and bin it.

Clown loaches are great for snails, and they are just fun to watch too. Get at least three so they can be sociable.

Read the pinned topic in the invertebrates section on pest snails, B75 gave the most popular option with the lettuce leaf. You do not have room for clown loaches in a 126L tank.

Jon

uk28scots said:
i also noticed something on the underside of my bogwood it looks like a piece of cotton wool, you know like the fluffy things that spiders sometimes make, any ideas what it could be?

any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated
That sounds like fungus. Take the bogwood out and place in boiling water to get rid of the growth.

Never reccommed clown loaches for snails, they are great for them, but many dont have the room for it, plus YOU HAVE TO have room for 3. They are very socialble and tight schoolers. Without being in a group they will probaly die from stress. Loaches in general love snails. Orange finned loaches, chain loaches, and yo yo loaches stay small and will get rid of the pests. I should make a pinned topic on snails.

That is a good point about the clown loaches, I am spoiled with the 120 gallon tank I am putting up. It would be a good pinned thread to make as well.

Most reactions

Back