Size of Tank??

chugo101

Reaction score
Hi, I have a tropical fish tank which holds about 35-40 litres of water, size is approx 25cm wide, 45cm long and 40 cm deep (but it has the front corners chopped off), I bought a new tank as this old one is a bit worse for wear, the box states that it is a 40 litre tank but when measuring it is only measures about 30cmx33cmx35cm which equates to nowhere near 40 litres. Now my question is does this matter or is it just the surface area alone that matters? My husband thinks the difference of surface area is only about 20sqcm. Can anyone help, I don't want to find out I can only have 10 fish!! I've got 20 in my current tank and they have been living happily in there for the past 18 months (even though I've been told this is overstocked?). Thank you for your help, any advice is much appreciated.

What matters most I would think is your filtering system .. :D

I've seen surface area to volume ratios used to get an idea of how efficient your tank dimension are is in terms gas exchange ... in your case the new tank scores a bit higher .028 versus .025 for the old tank.

This means you have .003 square centimeters of surface area for every cubic centimeter of volume ... for a grand total of 135 square centimeters more area per unit volume. :fun:

What that really means fish wise :whistle: ... beats me. I'm new at this ... :rolleyes:

Good Day ... B)

Most reactions

Back