Sioned's Fishless Cycle

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sionedann

Reaction score
Hi Peeps

I think I am ready to start my fishless cycle- but a bit of reassurance would be cool

The Set Up - set it up 27th January

95 Litre Elite Fishtank (80 litres water)
Fluval 3+ filter
Elite Submersible 150w Heater
Gravel & Decor (thoroughly washed of course)
Live plants
Nutrafin Freshwater Test Kit

January 27th - Tap Water Test (left overnight)

PH - 6.5
Ammonia - 0 - 0.6
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 0

January 28th - Tank Water Test (no chemicals added)

PH - 6.5 - 7
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Do you think I'm ready to rock with my fishless cycle?

sounds good to me, have you got your ammonia?

Agreed. Looks fine.

Also, have you read the pinned fishless cycling article. It would really help you. There is a link to it in my sig below.

Cheers :good:

BTT

Thanks for the superquick replies !!

Yes I eventually got my Ammonia - bit of effort, these things are hard to come by in West Wales and I did get some weird looks during my search (having taken a whiff of it DOH!! - I can understand why!)

Yes I've read, and re read and printed the Fishless Cycle article from this forum - it's BRILLIANT now I think I've got my head around it. I'll keep you posted when things start to move.

Thanks again

Your pH is on the lower end of things. Cycling will drive the pH downward. If your hardness (KH, don't worry about measuring it for now) turns out to be very low, your pH may end up dropping too low and stalling the cycle. Just make sure you do pH readings along with ammonia for the first week or so, then you'll start adding in the nitrite(NO2) test and doing the 3 tests with occasional nitrate(NO3) readings.

~~waterdrop~~

Your pH is on the lower end of things. Cycling will drive the pH downward. If your hardness (KH, don't worry about measuring it for now) turns out to be very low, your pH may end up dropping too low and stalling the cycle. Just make sure you do pH readings along with ammonia for the first week or so, then you'll start adding in the nitrite(NO2) test and doing the 3 tests with occasional nitrate(NO3) readings.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks - my next question was whether or not I needed to do any other readings for the first week or so - I'll keep you posted

Most reactions

Back