Silica/Quarts Sand

FishSticks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a really quick question and I hope I can get a real quick answer. :p I just bought a 100 pound bag of Industrial Quarts (Same thing as Silica as I was told by Ace Hardware, were they right?) and I'm about ready to pour the first bucket of washed sand into my new aquarium. From what I've researched Silica is safe for aquariums that's why I bought it. So can I use the stuff yes or no? :D

Thanks in advance...The first bucket will go in in about 15 min :thumbs: So excited to see how it will look, hopefully I CAN use it!

i have playsand in mine... what is the actual purpose of the stuff you have? (as in is it sold as playsand, blasting sand or what?)

As far as I know silica is the basic ingredient of any sand

It doesn't mention what it's used for. It says in the front "Effective Size In Filtritation 15mm" I'm guessing some kind of filter sand? I have no idead what uses sand as a filter? :dunno:

Its for pool filters then

I havent used this kind but people on this forum have and say its much better than play sand... It should be fine

That was actually what I was looking for in the first place but couldnt find so I ended up with playsand

Make sure it isn't the sharp kind if you plan to get any catfish or bottom-dwelling fish that interact with the substrate or you'll encounter serious problems. I know some of the sand sold as 'silica' sand is of this type. If it realy is pool filter sand it should be fine.

Yeah it soooo much nicer than play sand. You know how I found it today? I was pushing my cart along the isles on my way to buy play sand for my aquarium when I bumped into this big bag and it ripped right open and when I saw it right there on the floor, I knew I had to put that in my tank! :thumbs:

Hey how many inches of sand do you guys think will be enough to anchor my plants? :kana: Also... I know many people say to wash playsand a lot before putting in aquarium to remove dirt & debris but the ony thing I've found so far in 4 buckets of this pool filter sand I bought is the real small particles of sand...These won't harm my fish would they?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back