shrimp

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

vladokist

Reaction score
Hey,
I have two aquariums in my house, one is a five gallon and one is a ten gallon.
I got a ghost shrimp for the small one. I had a goldfish in it, and some feeder comets.
The fish don't hurt it or anything, he just gets real scared and sits on the leaves of a plant.
Is he supposed to be scaredy????? :huh:

if he is new to the tank then he will not be used to the other fish. perhaps you could provide it with a hideing place some kind of cave.

:look: Thanks, i thought so too. I put in a huge seashell. It's doing pretty well hiding. Hope he get used to the other fishies.

What do you think is the most effective combination of different species of fishes?

all in good time most of fish keeping and i like to think thisis the relaxing bit is the waiting. im constantly surprised by the results that hard work and patients can bring.

Yea.... -_- what kind of tank do you have?
I have 10 gallon, 5 gallon, the ten one is empty, and I want to put some life into it. Thinking about chihlids. :fish: :band:
i just love these emoticons

Was a little concerned on that sea shell you added to the tank. Some will leach into the water causing instability in the ph levels and since this is a small tank that has its own set of problems due to its size, you might have some problems down the line.

I'd use rock formations or something else designed for aquarium tank use that will not leach.

the seashell will start to make the water hard and you might need a bigger tank for the gold fish there going to get like 9 inches

Really?.. they get that big?? Oh man.. Like how much space do you need for the chihlids? -_-
Oh well, I'll just get smaller fish. The goldfish has a pretty big appetite, because my Ghost shimp i think really turned into a ghost.
I don't know how these fish live with themselves......
What is "leach"? :huh:
Why does the seashell make the water hard? :D do they like each other???? :lol:
joke.. hehe :p

in answer to ure question i have a 46 gal and a umm i think its a 25 gal i go two firemouth cichlids in the smaller tank

There is one cichlid that you could keep in a 10 gallon tank, pelvicochromis pulcher (kribs). You could keep one breeding pair in their on their own with a few flowerpot caves for them to spawn in. I tried this once with great success.

Leech means to release. The shells, like most things in the sea, have a coral basis. This means that they "leech" or release things that increase the General Hardness of the water, or make it Alkaline. This, in turn, tends to raise the pH in the water. Hard water is fine for saltwater fish, and some freshwater fish. But the fish that you have come from "old" water. This means the mountains and soil don't have much coral based stuff in them, if any at all, because they have been out of the ocean for a really long time. This means there is very little General Hardness, thus making the water soft, or acidic. These fish have evolved to cope and thrive in acidic water. This means that if you put them in hard, alkaline water, they don't do too well or even die. This is why you want to remove the shell and replace it with some kind of rock structure or driftwood. Also, don't use the white "holey rock." It comes from Texas, and it is almost pure coral. This stuff really raises the pH.

Oh, I almost forgot. There are actually several cichlids you can keep in ten gallons. Several apistogramas and killie fish (not quite cichlids) and some West African Dwarf Cichlids, like the kribs mentioned above, can be kept in ten gallons and, some, even bred! You really just have to research what one fit you water and likings.

Most reactions

Back