Should i kill her?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pgtips

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After my new female Angel took a pasting from a male it looks to be on it's last legs

cloudy eyes
ripped fins
laying on bottom
swims upside down

should i put it out of it's misery? :unsure:

or let it die naturally?

if i do kill it, what is the quickest way? :-(

Paul

pg, sorry, but I cannot tell you to kill your fish. I've been in the same situation before and could not do it. The fish is still alive today.

If you do decide, fastest way would be to sever it's head with one slice or a blow against something hard.

If you have a extra tank you could isolate her, add some Melafix and see what happens. I've found that an injured fish dies relatively quickly, usually within a day or so.

Good luck with your decision. I'm wishing your fishy well :X

i've never killed one before and she is in a tank with small fish, neons harlequins etc who are just leaving her alone. she has been getting worse since yesterday a nd her eyes look aweful :-(

I just don't want to see her suffer, as i type this she is breathing but upside down. When i right her she stays like it for a few minutes then goes upside down again. been like this for 12 hours now :sad:

can you isolate her and treat her?

If not you could try adding Melafix to the entire tank. It wouldn't hurt the others.

rykitten said:
can you isolate her and treat her?

If not you could try adding Melafix to the entire tank. It wouldn't hurt the others.
No....i threw out my old 40litre tank last weekend :crazy:

So add some Melafix to the whole tank? thats if she last till the morning as i'll have to buy some :(

It's only a fish FFS but it's sooooo sad :-(

I appologise if this causes offence. ;)
If you can't sort her out, and have to put her to sleep, wrap her in newspaper and then well...you know the rest. Very quick and painless.
You wont see anyhting and neither will the fish.
Luckily I aint had to do that a lot :unsure:

But she may pull through. If you can treat her I would. At least you'd know that you've done all you can, whatever the outcome ;)

no offence.....i want honest answers.

i'm just not sure i can do it. i'm 90% sure she won't make it through tonight, but what if she does?

:unsure:

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a real tough decision to have to make. I considered it several times with my "special" fish Cher who has had about everything it's possible for a black moor to have (colour loss, swimbladder, fin rot - you name it) but we stuck with it using Melafix and other treatments and she seems to have pulled through.

Danio2004 recommended a very humane euthanasia method using clove oil. If the worst comes to the worst you might take a look at this thread...

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a real tough decision to have to make. I considered it several times with my "special" fish Cher who has had about everything it's possible for a black moor to have (colour loss, swimbladder, fin rot - you name it) but we stuck with it using Melafix and other treatments and she seems to have pulled through.

Danio2004 recommended a very humane euthanasia method using clove oil. If the worst comes to the worst you might take a look at this thread...

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=55029

Most reactions

Back