Shark Talk

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

grayshark1956

Fish Crazy
Reaction score

Good morning! I just have questions about kinds of freshwater sharks besides the bala, rainbow or silver tip kind: yes, I will look up pictures, but, I found a new tropical fish store I want to visit today and I expect it will be large, yay! Anyway, can anyone recommend a type that is best in a community tank? I'm considering starting another tank sometime and prefer to start it with sharks as this is the closest I will ever get to one, would rather be in a shark cage right now but don't live near an ocean. I really miss Sea World's shark exhibit in Florida! So, if anyone is experienced with any type, please let me know which one you suggest for a shark beginner. Thanks and I'll write again later after I visit this new store. :nod:

:rolleyes: I went to new store, they were closed even though their hours said they were open, found it to be very small, may not go back., they also don't answer their phone.

You might have posted this in the wrong section... this is the Brackish section but we can talk about it anyway Im sure a Mod will be able to move it if you want them to.

First thing to realise is that none of the sharks you have listed are not actually sharks - Bala Sharks are a type of Cyprinid which are similar to Barbs and Goldfish and Red Tailed Sharks and Rainbow Sharks are more closely related to Loaches.

Two other ones to watch out for (and possibly avoid) are Iridescant Sharks or Pangasious Catfish and also Shark Catfish or Columbian Catfish as they are brackish.

Back to your tank though - what fish do you have in there already and how big is it? Dimensions and volume please :)

Wills

:) :)
You might have posted this in the wrong section... this is the Brackish section but we can talk about it anyway Im sure a Mod will be able to move it if you want them to.

First thing to realise is that none of the sharks you have listed are not actually sharks - Bala Sharks are a type of Cyprinid which are similar to Barbs and Goldfish and Red Tailed Sharks and Rainbow Sharks are more closely related to Loaches.

Two other ones to watch out for (and possibly avoid) are Iridescant Sharks or Pangasious Catfish and also Shark Catfish or Columbian Catfish as they are brackish.

Back to your tank though - what fish do you have in there already and how big is it? Dimensions and volume please :)

Wills
Hi, I'll try and answer your post, I am pressed for time but here goes...I know the sharks I mentioned are not sharks, I can't get one anyway, need larger tank and have enough fish plus issues I'm working on at home that involve other people (health) but my tank is 10 gal, with 12 fish, I have removed then donated my goldfish, like tropicals better, wrote under brackish with questions about fish, crabs, salt. I do not have the dimensions of my tank right now, but my fish are: mollies, killifish, platys, zebra danios, one betta, 4 crabs. I still want any type of fish that resembles a shark, esp. a bala shark, can't have one yet. I had to write under brackish because everywhere I went for advice on how to care for red claw crabs' environment, I got different answers and the store did not inform me correctly of their care even when I asked, they gave me the wrong answer. I found out on my own later they need brackish water. Had to turn my FW tank into low brackish for the crabs until I get a second tank. Finally got things answered like: salt, bacteria blooms that I was aware of, pH, nitrates and nitrites, phosphates and copper, hydrometers, etc. Hope this helps and thanks for explaining the types of shark fish, I really hope someday to get a bala shark! Sharks are my favorite ocean animal of them all! Write anytime, even with tips for my tankmates. Thanks! :)

Oh wow, crabs and a betta in a 10g tank :/ I would try and speed up that second tank asap or rehome the crabs in all fairness.

Bala Sharks are a really bad fish in the hobby they are incredibly active get huge and in the wild swim in huge swarms all over Asia and dont stay in a small area like some other fish in the hobby.

A tank to keep them fairly would be in the region of 8 foot long and at least 2 - 3 foot wide.

A much much better alternative are Rose Line Sharks AKA Denison Barbs which are similar to these, but have a splash of red to them and also a black and yellow tail. They only get to around 6-7 inches and do better in home aqauria long term as well.

Wills

Oh wow, crabs and a betta in a 10g tank :/ I would try and speed up that second tank asap or rehome the crabs in all fairness.

Bala Sharks are a really bad fish in the hobby they are incredibly active get huge and in the wild swim in huge swarms all over Asia and dont stay in a small area like some other fish in the hobby.

A tank to keep them fairly would be in the region of 8 foot long and at least 2 - 3 foot wide.

A much much better alternative are Rose Line Sharks AKA Denison Barbs which are similar to these, but have a splash of red to them and also a black and yellow tail. They only get to around 6-7 inches and do better in home aqauria long term as well.

Wills
I agree! I would love to get a second tank, but there have been so many things I've had to take care of that 2nd tank must wait: husband's illness, old dog's cardiac status, my health which is fine now (long story here), mother's status in assisted living, daughter who does not have time to talk with me, and I'm making arrangements to teach a health class, plus other stuff. But, if a bala gets that big than I really can't have one, will substitute another type of shark fish. I am glad you wrote back and gave me info on this shark you mentioned. I guess I could only get a red tail shark when I am able. I just fed my crabs and noticed the new one is hiding under the cave, I hope he is ok. The other 3 were waiting for dinner, practically clapped their claws when they saw food coming! LOL, write anytime! :hyper:

I am genuinely very sorry to hear all the hard times your going through :( Hope things pull through soon :)

With the tank though, right now it is going to end badly - the easiest thing would be to rehome some fish and or crabs and stock again in a safer environment - if your not able to get fish out of there in a hurry should things go wrong its only going to add to your stress levels to see them die or suffer. And if this tank is a long term situation something will happen at some point, day to day it may be fine but if one day a crab decides to grab the betta, mmmmm not the best option. The crabs are the largest issues but also your other fish are not a great mix or choice for this tank, Zebra Danios are like hyperactive little dogs and though small in size need big long tanks to swarm up and down.

Mollies are not ideal as they are a little large IMO for a 10g and depending on what the killifish they might work, they might not...

Like I say totally sympathize with you on the life issues but adding what could likely become a stressful fishtank to that mix. I would just have a think if this is the best option for you and the fish/crabs right now and if you should perhaps consider rehoming some of them?

Wills

I am genuinely very sorry to hear all the hard times your going through :( Hope things pull through soon :)

With the tank though, right now it is going to end badly - the easiest thing would be to rehome some fish and or crabs and stock again in a safer environment - if your not able to get fish out of there in a hurry should things go wrong its only going to add to your stress levels to see them die or suffer. And if this tank is a long term situation something will happen at some point, day to day it may be fine but if one day a crab decides to grab the betta, mmmmm not the best option. The crabs are the largest issues but also your other fish are not a great mix or choice for this tank, Zebra Danios are like hyperactive little dogs and though small in size need big long tanks to swarm up and down.

Mollies are not ideal as they are a little large IMO for a 10g and depending on what the killifish they might work, they might not...

Like I say totally sympathize with you on the life issues but adding what could likely become a stressful fishtank to that mix. I would just have a think if this is the best option for you and the fish/crabs right now and if you should perhaps consider rehoming some of them?

Wills
Thanks for writing, besides separating them, if they all stay together for a while longer, which harm do you think is most likely to occur? water conditions or salt or mix of fish with crabs? Yes I am considering 2nd tank hopefully soon or something else like you mentioned. Hope you see this and can advise me more on my questions, thanks

Wills
Thanks for writing, besides separating them, if they all stay together for a while longer, which harm do you think is most likely to occur? water conditions or salt or mix of fish with crabs? Yes I am considering 2nd tank hopefully soon or something else like you mentioned. Hope you see this and can advise me more on my questions, thanks
Also wanted to add thanking you for understanding I am in a difficult situation right now, that was nice of you.

With your current stock a number of things could happen, it does not mean that it will happen but in the over all life span of the tank and the fish things could happen.

Mollies can be a large fish and are some times boisterous with others and can end up nipping fins or pestering other fish to death.

Zebra Danios, as I said very hyperactive fish - nothing bad will happen to them in this small tank but ideally they would be better in a bigger tank.

Platys - great fish for this tank :)

Killifish - lots of different species a few common ones would be some kind of panchax (google the name) or clown killifish (google the name) The clowns would be good Panchax not so good.

Bettas - probably the perfect fish for your tank right now

Crabs - this is the big alarm bell if I am honest. Crabs eat fish, and at any opportunity they will grab a fish sleeping low down in the tank. None of your fish are particularly big and the smaller ones like the danios, possibly the killis and the betta with its fins are all easy targets.

The other thing that concerns me is that your adding salt to the tank... yet not providing a land area for the crabs (as far as I know) The Mollies are sometimes good with salt, other times not. The Danios are hardy but not suited to brackish water... Platies the same but are less hardy - Killifish, salt generally not a good idea and Bettas I wouldnt recommend it...

Say as an example I bought this tank from you I would set it up get the fish in and then set about rehoming

Mollies, Danios, Crabs and possibly the Killifish.

I would keep the Platys and the Betta and possibly the Killifish.

And then if I felt the tank could have more fish I would look at Pygmy Corydoras - possibly Pandas but not the Bronze or Peppered as they are too large. And then a small school of micro rasbora. So the final stocked tank would be

1 Betta (male)
2/3 Platys (how many do you have at the moment? And what genders?)
5 Galaxy Rasboras (micro rasbora species)
5 Pygmy Corydoras or 5 Panda Corydoras.

Hope that helps

Wills

With your current stock a number of things could happen, it does not mean that it will happen but in the over all life span of the tank and the fish things could happen.

Mollies can be a large fish and are some times boisterous with others and can end up nipping fins or pestering other fish to death.

Zebra Danios, as I said very hyperactive fish - nothing bad will happen to them in this small tank but ideally they would be better in a bigger tank.

Platys - great fish for this tank :)

Killifish - lots of different species a few common ones would be some kind of panchax (google the name) or clown killifish (google the name) The clowns would be good Panchax not so good.

Bettas - probably the perfect fish for your tank right now

Crabs - this is the big alarm bell if I am honest. Crabs eat fish, and at any opportunity they will grab a fish sleeping low down in the tank. None of your fish are particularly big and the smaller ones like the danios, possibly the killis and the betta with its fins are all easy targets.

The other thing that concerns me is that your adding salt to the tank... yet not providing a land area for the crabs (as far as I know) The Mollies are sometimes good with salt, other times not. The Danios are hardy but not suited to brackish water... Platies the same but are less hardy - Killifish, salt generally not a good idea and Bettas I wouldnt recommend it...

Say as an example I bought this tank from you I would set it up get the fish in and then set about rehoming

Mollies, Danios, Crabs and possibly the Killifish.

I would keep the Platys and the Betta and possibly the Killifish.

And then if I felt the tank could have more fish I would look at Pygmy Corydoras - possibly Pandas but not the Bronze or Peppered as they are too large. And then a small school of micro rasbora. So the final stocked tank would be

1 Betta (male)
2/3 Platys (how many do you have at the moment? And what genders?)
5 Galaxy Rasboras (micro rasbora species)
5 Pygmy Corydoras or 5 Panda Corydoras.

Hope that helps

Wills

Thank you for writing about these fish...the killifish I have is a panchax, the danios drive the calmer fish nuts, the betta is nice, the platys are gentle, I have 2 small corys that mind their own business, and mollies are easy going. I just as of today...put in a piece of driftwood, it has been boiled, leeched out its tannin, looks great. And the crabs do have land on top of their rock cave, where they gather at night, its like they know food is coming. Oh, I had thought about rasboras but the crabs would love to eat them. No need to buy anymore fish. I think the activity goes on at night when I am asleep. The crabs now have driftwood, the way its arranged they can get out of the water and climb, plus I had a plastic floating landing for them. If you include the plant then they have 4 land areas.

Now the salt, stores insisted on aquarium salt, internet says use marine salt, then I read some used natural sea salt without iodine. I originally put in aquarium salt, began with less than usual to acclimate everyone to the water. They are all ok, and I can't find enough info anywhere about red claw crabs. We only have 1 store that sold them, I never saw them before. They are cool when they turn cherry red at night. I do like fish with colors and the killifish is pretty, seems gentle. If you think of anything I missed, let me know, especially the salt. I'm glad you wrote! B-)

Okay, just to stress first do not add any other fish to this tank unless you rehome others my list was a list to look at a rounded tank as if you were starting from scratch....

The Danios zooming around will stress your other fish.

The Panchax is a large fish when adult, can be aggressive and too much for this tank.

Salt with these fish will seriously damage some of the fish, I am surprised your Cories are managing as they are really sensitive to salt. Cories are also one of the most at risk fish from Crab attacks.... Cories are also schooling fish which mean that it is essential to have them in groups of 5-6 or more the more the better!! But do not add fish until you have sorted out the issues in your tank.

You really have to make a choice because your going to loose fish at some point and its all easily fixed issues you just have to make a choice between fish or crabs. And then choose between which fish you want to keep.

Your tank sounds over stocked as well to be fair. What are the numbers of each fish you have.

Please for the sake of your fish please rehome some of them either in the classifieds section of this website, ebay, aquarist classified if your in the UK or aquabid if your in the US. OR just return them to the store...

Sorry to be so blunt but at some point one or more of your fish is going to die, either through stress of the over all tank, being nipped or stressed by other fish or death by crabs or death by salt...

Please take this advice on board as so far all you have done is dismiss it

Wills

Most reactions

Back