Severe algae problem, how to terminate it.

DC-FUERTEVENTURA

Reaction score
Hi I have a 60L freshwater tank set up for a year now, also a 300L set up for well over 10yrs with no problems at all.
I introduced live plants in my 60L and within a week, week and a half my tank is like this photo, I clean it out by 50% water change, removing the few plants that are surviving and physically remove this algae, I assume it is hair grass algae, the fish population is minimal 5 male guppies 2 male swords and 3 Nerite snails, not adding nothing else until I have solved the problem. The lava rock I take out and boil that sorts them out, but I can’t boil the plants or substrate, I am in the Canary Islands, Fuerteventura and very limited supplies usually by internet. I have another 60L tank I could set up using 60% water from my 300L and 40% fresh so I do not transport any algae to it, water parameters are identical bar 0.5 difference in ph. That and the cleaned rocks could go in, but how do I get rid of it from the substrate, it cost me nearly 75 euros, the plants well I could bin them and buy more, filtration is per external filter, 1020LPH 14w, that would also have to be severely cleaned I would have thought.
Please if anybody has a more less work solution I would really appreciate it.
On the verge of dismounting it and packing it up, but my wife would like to change it to keep a Betty with a few other compatible tank mates, I am in the hands of you guys for help.
Thanks
DC-Fuerteventura

Attachments

• D0F7BE0A-4D42-44A6-9D19-D6980474E730.jpeg
    D0F7BE0A-4D42-44A6-9D19-D6980474E730.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 61
How long are you using the lights on the troublesome aquarium?

One tank has green filamentous algae in and that loves nutrients.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Stop adding fertiliser to the tank.
See how it goes.

I can't see anything in the other 2 pictures due to the glare on the glass.

Once again all cleaned out untill next week????
One tank has green filamentous algae in and that loves nutrients.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Stop adding fertiliser to the tank.
See how it goes.

I can't see anything in the other 2 pictures due to the glare on the glass.
ok I have done a very big water change and again taken all the plants out and cleaned all the algae from them, cleaned gravel.
Will try gravel clean every day and at the weekend clean the filter as I don’t clean the filters same day as major water changes for bacteria reasons.
A big Thankyou to Colin_T for your info will post any changes. By the way one of the lights is Rgb+white would using just one of the colors only help??.
image.jpg

You want all the colours in the light so leave it with red, green, blue and white.

You can reduce the lighting time and that might help too. Just reduce it by an hour for a few weeks and see if it helps. If not then reduce it by another hour and monitor for a few weeks.

You want all the colours in the light so leave it with red, green, blue and white.

You can reduce the lighting time and that might help too. Just reduce it by an hour for a few weeks and see if it helps. If not then reduce it by another hour and monitor for a few weeks.
Ok will do, let’s see what happens
Thanks
Dc-Fuerteventura

Most reactions

Back