Sea slug, need an ID (pics inc.)

spanair

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I found about 2 of these guys so far around the glass, and I have no clue to what the heck they are, apart of been slugs :nod:. Anyways theres alot of life around, amazing to watch the live rock develop!.

Here is the pics for you, oh and ignore marlin :lol:

marinetanks-slug.JPG

marinetanks-slug2.JPG

I don't know about the slug, i would head over to www.reefcentral.com and ask Dr. Ron. He has his own forum there.

On a side note, i do notice a lot of algae in there which leads me to believe your nitrates are high or you are using tap water. That valonia is going to get out of control unless you combat it soon.

Hey impur,

okay I see what you are trying to say, no I dont use tap water, I use R/O water and theres some algae in the background, which according to the guy at the lfs is normal for a newly set-up tank. I just need to do a water change, all the water paremeters are alright, except the phosphate which is at 0.8 which is nothing to worry about for now. About the valonia, I have to say the live rock came with a fair bit on it already, but I admit it has reproduced a little bit since.

Thanks

That definitely looks like a nudibrach to me. Can't tell what kind. Dr. Ron could probably ID it for you though.

I believe most tangs will eat that valonia and get more snails to combat the green algae (or get a lawnmower blenny).

You could use about twice as much live rock by the looks of it if that is your main filtration.

Another critter you will find most people use to combat valonia is emerald mithrax crab. Just to let you know from my experiences, it didn't touch the stuff. I think a tang would be much more effective as ostrow stated. I have heard of peoples emerald crabs eating the stuff though. I had about 5 small tufts of the stuff growing on my LR. It did disappear after a month or so, but i believe it starved and i also had to pull it out by hand (pain in the rear).

Anyway, the tank looks like its coming along nicely. Well done. I can't wait to get my 125 reef up and running. Sure is slimming to my wallet!!!!!!!

I dont want to add crabs as i've read they will harm small fishes, and mines are still small. But I wound't mind it though, but I cant.

Since i'm buying a tang in a couple of weeks maybe 3 for the best I guess he should clear it out later on, I took a few out and popped them, quite nice :lol:.

Oh and thanks for refering me to dr.ron, i've posted there, just have to wait now. Thank you :thumbs:

Emerald crabs will not eat your fish. Not while the fish are alive. They will eat dead fish, but then, you want them to. But they will keep your tank clear of bubble algae and hair algae, which you are likely to get if you don't have a few. Plus they are very interesting creatures.

Most reactions

Back