Scavengers just don't make it

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bdonoghue

Reaction score
I have a 45 gal. fresh water tank that has been set up for 5+ years. There are 3 tin foil barbs, 4 african cichlids (3 are adult) and 1 fire mouth cichlid. They all get along well. However, when I add any scavengers, cats or plecos, they never last longer than 3-4 months. I always thought most scavengers were hardy. Is the tank too large? Do I need more fish? I would like to add scavengers to keep the tank clean and remove some of the algea. But I haven't found any that last. Any Ideas? Is there a cat or pleco that is hardier?

No your tank is definately not too large and no dont add any more fish,the 3 tinfoil barbs need a tank that size to themselves when full grown and why would you want to add scavengers any way,my experience with tinfoils tells me that there wont be anything left to scavenge as they are swimming garbage disposals,the fish you added before probably starved to death through the tinfoils eating all the food before they could get to it.

I agree cfc, It's unfair to lable Catfish (Corys, Hoplos and Plecs) as scavengers, they need a steady supply of food as well to thrive. True, they help keep the substrate turned over and eat any food that manages to get to them but they must be fed pellets/wafers/vegetable matter (if relevent)/livefoods to thrive. Your tank sounds overstocked anyway, to add anymore fish wouldn't be a good idea. :huh:

Most reactions

Back