Sand...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PaulEbs

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey there,

Today I have changed our small coldwater tank's substrate to sand - and it looks beautiful! [well - it will when it clears].

I've realised that I have enough sand now to do our 40 gallon tropical community tank too - although it's a large community and taking them all out to change the substrate would be too much of a mission.

So my question is - has anyone had experience on adding sand with the fish still in the tank? And does it bother them until it clears?

Thank you,

Paul.

Done it more than once. Yes, the water goes cloudy, but that's silt, not sand. The sand sinks to the bottom straightaway. The silt makes the water cloudy, but the fish don't care. Put some new filter wool in the filter and add a few drops of "filter aid". Should be fine in 24-48 hours.

No, the silt doesn't harm most fish. Probably not a good idea for species from clear, fast water, but for your standard issue riverine species the fish are perfectly used to cloudy water. My glassfish seem the first to settle down -- maybe they like being even more invisible than normal!

Cheers,

Neale

PS. There's a ridiculously long thread on sand in aquaria, here:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=131373

Thank you!

After reading that post - were thinking of adding a small goby to the coldwater tank for sand-sifting. A goby would be alright with a black moor, a giant ramshorn and a spixi apple snail wouldn't it?

Cheers,

Paul.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back