Sand question for 5 gallon hex tall

BettasRFriends

Moved On
Reaction score
In the summer (if my dad lets), i plan to have sand in my 5 gallon hex glass tall tank. What type of sand is there that is soft yet heavy enough for vacuuming? What type of filter should I use? I plan to have it planted with probably 3-4 schooling fish (tetras maybe?)

My lfs guy told me the safest is aquarium sand but its also very expensive...he said he uses pool sand in his tanks....and his tanks look great....

This is a very widespread suggestion. I've yet to use it but am actually taking a break right now from breaking down an existing 55 Gal to redecorate it including changing it over to sand. I'm going to price black sand and if it's too expensive I'm getting pool sand. I was advised (a friend manages a pool store) that $10 per 50 lb is a good price to pay, anything more is excessive.

As far as filtering... I always promote the usage of Overflow filters or canister filters. I know Whisper makes a micro over flow filter that actually sits inside the tank. This is what I have on my 5 Gal betta tank. Works fine. I discourage the use of under gravel filters for several reasons. I think a 5 Gal is probably too small for any kind of canister filter that I'm familiar with. So it looks like a very small overflow filter would be your best bet (in my opinion). If it has an inlet tube (the one that sucks water in) make sure it isn't too close to the bottom of the tank that is sucks up sand when it gets stirred around.

You wouldn't be able to vacuum pool sand - or most any other actual sand for that matter. If you want to be able to vacuum, I suggest you go for a very fine gravel. It looks pretty much like sand but is heavier and doesn't pack together either. The fish like it just as well. On the other hand - sand looks amazing :p...

also, do realize how very little sand you would need to put at most 2 inches in a 5g hex? my father has a setup we got him at walmart and a single bag of gravel was more than enough for the bottom. you'll at most need ~5 lbs of sand. you should keep that in mind as you shop.

Most reactions

Back