Rose anemone habits

Landlocked

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have just gotten a rose anemone a few weeks ago. (I got it on Aprill 19). It has not shown any dead spots, and it appears healthy on the outside. It is eating once a week, like I was recommended. Everything about it seems normal

However, now it has started to shrink up in the mornings, each morning. When I say shrink, I don't mean slightly; it is on the back glass, and it shrinks so that everything is forced down to be inside the "bowl" of the foot. It appears that it has expelled all the water. In the afternoon it reinflates and appears fine.

I know that anemones will normally do this, but how often? This is the 3rd morning that it has done this. Is it ok?

tank stats
0.25 ammonia (just a trace, that has yet to go away after the 1+ years the tank has been up)
0 nitrites
0 nitrates
1.022 salinity
58 gallons

There are no other creatures in the tank except for a small xenia (not near the anemone), a common cleaner shrimp, and a small emerald mithrax crab. There are also several snails, but they haven't gone near the anemone.

What's going on?

It's fine.....My rose does the same.
I had 2 at one point and the first week or so one did this and i thought it was dead. so i pulled out my book and did a little reading and it said that sometimes when they die thay can spike the the tank. so i freeked and pulled it out,but it turns out that i was wrong and killed it myself :crazy: my buddy at the LFS told me how they are and i felt a litle dumb and now i see my other do this all the time. Oh well lesson learned on my part.
Hope that helped

Hazmat :)

Most reactions

Back