Real or fake??

I am not a very experienced fishkeeper and I have some real plants and some fake. I find the real ones no trouble at all. They were looking a bit tatty when I did the last water change so I broke off some nice looking bits and just pushed them into the gravel and threw the grotty bits away. Result- nice new plants with no risk of new pesky little snails. The fish like real plants and I think it keeps the tank healthy. :)

It does add an extra layer of protection to your tank to have real plants. There is that much more of a buffer if things start to get out of whack. And some plants will root with clippings. Still, I'd start out with fake and get basic fish keeping down first.

Real or fake should also depend on what types of fish you have in your tank. My clown loaches have made swiss cheese out of a few sword leaves!

pnyklr3 said:
Real or fake should also depend on what types of fish you have in your tank. My clown loaches have made swiss cheese out of a few sword leaves!
How many clown loaches do you have and in how big a tank?

Never mind, I looked at your profile. Is it a sand tank, or a gravel tank and do you have places for them to hide? They might be tearing them up when they are using them to hide in.

Very small gravel, and I have caves coming out of my ears! I think that my clowns have a personality disorder :lol: . They eat from the surface of the water, and they never hide in caves (I always see them). They have tripled, or perhaps quadrupled, in size since I got them 6 months ago. I think they eat at my swords because I feed my cichlids a meaty high-protein diet, and they aren't getting their veggies. I started to add sinking tablets for them to eat, and they've left my swords alone for the most part; but they do like to taste the new growth! :D

I personally am a real plants kinda guy but I did start with fake plants. here are fake plants:
IMG_0713.jpg

then I went to live plants soon after so here's the tank with live plants:
IMG_0904.jpg

o and as far as fake/real driftwood, the wood on the left is real wood and the wood on the right is fake wood so you can be the judge :) I like them both.

edit: all of my live plants besides the swords and banana plants are considered hardy low-medium light plants so any of those should do nicely in your tank. Also if you decide to go with real check out http://www.plantgeek.net for different types of plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back