rams

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

longhorn13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i was planning on getting a new tank this summer and getting some rams. i've never had cichlids before, so i was wondering how many rams should you keep together and what are some good tankmates for them?

not acutally sure yet, i was thinking in the range of 30-55G. i figured to get a pair of rams and i wanted some cory's also, but i just read that probably wouldn't be a good idea...

I can't see that being a problem in the size of tank you are considering,especially the 55, which gives you lots of options for tankmates for them. Essentially the rams and a school of cory's will take up most of the bottom real estate. That still leaves you lots of open water to fill up.

hmmm...i wanted to get rams and cory's but on some ram website it said that their space was primarily on the bottom area, so cory's could irritate them. maybe i'll just have to get 2 new tanks :D

on some ram website it said that their space was primarily on the bottom area

I'm curious to what this website is. I've seen cory's work in many ram setups, and would only suggest avoiding them in small tanks (20 gallons or less). Your call though.

Thats a really good site.. i frequent it often. I have 4 german blues. Cories will be fine with rams. I had some in my 20 with my rams with no problems except that my cories ate the rams eggs so I removed my cories. That was a while ago tho and I have a new tank now. 55 Gallons. In a 55 gallon your cories and rams aren't going to get in eachothers way. Its fine. :D

thanks for all the advice, i've never had cichlids before and i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions in the future too!

well, i'm beginning to rethink whether or not i should get rams...i wanted them b/c i've read they're peaceful cichlids, but i've read other posts saying they're not the best fish for beginners (i've only been fish keeping a couple months). i think rams are beautiful fish, but if they're really sensitive, maybe i don't have the experience for them yet. are there any other good peaceful cichlids out there that are a little easier to keep? i really wanted to get rams, but i figure i should look out for what's best for them...

a few month experiance wil be fine to care for rams, some members have gotten rams as their first fish and they have survived fine :)

how big a shoal of tiger barbs will you be wanting to get? if you keep 6+ it should be ok

I am brand new to rams myself. I have been trying to get out of the common livebearers and into something different. I have my 3 rams (which I have had for about 3 weeks) with all those guys up in my signature, and they haven't bothered each other once. Although, I am not planning on stocking up on those guys anymore once they are gone, I am going into other cichlids.

Well, I wasn't very much of a help was I? :p

Most reactions

Back