Questions on Neocaridina

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all I may be coming down with multiple tank syndrome ;)

I've been considering starting a Neocaridina colony (cherry shrimp specifically). My knowledge of Neocaridina shrimp is minimal (only kept Amano) so I wanted to ask the more experienced keepers for some guidance and some questions.

Best Tank Size? I have seen a 40cm x 25cm x 25cm (25L) that would fit on my desk. However, 25L seems a bit small IMO. Also, is a larger aquarium surface area better than a taller aquarium?

Water quality and temperature? This Tank will most likely not be heated. I read the temp parameters for Neo's are between 12-28°C is this a good idea not to heat the aquarium? My local water company says I have soft water.
WQ.JPG

AVERAGE PH - 7.63

Filtration would be a simple HOB filter.

What to have inside the aquarium? I was looking at a crushed lava rock substrate with a couple of terracotta pots for plants (fluval stratum) and maybe a few branches of manzanita wood with java moss and an occasional mulberry leaf.

Any other points or needed information would be grateful thanks. :)

You could look at crystal shrimp, latin name Caridina logemanni or C. cantonensis depending where you look. These are soft water, low pH shrimps and come in red or black. However they do need a heater, as do most shrimps.

I have a couple of links on crystal shrimp, the second will take a while to load.

You could look at crystal shrimp, latin name Caridina logemanni or C. cantonensis depending where you look. These are soft water, low pH shrimps and come in red or black. However they do need a heater, as do most shrimps.

I have a couple of links on crystal shrimp, the second will take a while to load.
:thanks: For the info and sites! I'm an avid shopper on proshrimp . I did a bit more searching as well. I don't think my water is as soft as my water company says. I keep Sawbwa barbs which are a harder water fish. Apparently, a sign of them being content with water parameters is the male's colour being more vibrant (bright blue and orange nose which mine are). Perhaps a PH and Hardness test might be wise to consider

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back