question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

droogygirl

Reaction score
Hey all...:eek:)

My son has a overflow filter on his tank.

It has this black thing in it with little black rocks, someone said carbon.

You can replace it when it gets dirty. I have found when I take it out the fish look better, is that possible? and if I leave it out (the water will just be pulled up and flowed back in) will that be ok?

oh an I have a ph kit, it says the ph is 6.0, is that normal or do certain kinds of fish have a certain level?? plus is that all I need to test the ph? or is that the main one?

cheers,

Nik

PH of 6.0 is acidic. A PH of 7.0 should be the ideal PH for most tropicals. What size is the tank and what kinds of fish are you keeping in it? Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?

PH is a good test kit to have, but in my opinion not the most important. You need ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte test kits. Both ammonia and nitrItes are poison to fish and created through fish waste. You must keep a VERY careful eye on these levels, especially if you haven't cycled your tank yet. Ammonia should be 0 and so should nitrIte.

In a cycled tank the filter media and gravel will establish a "good" type of bacteria that can convert ammonia into nitrIte, then nitrIte into nitrAte. NitrAte should ideally be kept below 40 where it is not a harm to fish. Ammonia and NitrItes can kill your fish quickly...within hours I would say.

What do you mean the fish look "better" without the filter pad? Is the filter pad blue and it has black pebbles in it? That needs to stay in the filter. It is what filters out all of the crap and loose particles in the water. Without it, the water would just run through the canister and come out the hole. :no:

hey Raechal,

I did the ph test, it is at 7.0.

I will put the filter thing back. I find it all really confusing, they were my sons fish, but with all you have to do he is 2 young (11yrs)

It is even trying for me at times, I have told him if this lot depart to fishie heaven i am not gettig more, it is costing me a fortune.

We have a 25 ltr tank. @ the mo we have 2 little neon fish,one with name rummy in it and a little sucker fish that I was told does not get very big. (i need to tke note of what I buy, but when you go on the advice of others we dont think we will have probs)
We did have an angel fish, he went back as I was told on here he will get way to big for the tank, also we had a black widow, but he went also as he was nipping the angel fish, I was told by the lfs this is not normal behaviour. yikes!

The rummyfish is sitting on the bottom of the tank, not relly doing much, it kind of looks like he is gasping but I am not sure.

the thing is I don't want to get a bigger tank, this one is enough work as it is, i took a sample of water to the lfs and he said the ph was off the chart, so I have a test kit and a lower ph powder. he asked what I had in tank,

-stones - plants (live) - a bell (sucker fish hides in it) and a tiny frog holding a no fishing sign. he said it was prolly the gravel. so I took out 80% of water, tossed the gravel, put in new stuff and then added back the old water. then tested the ph, it is @ 7.0.

I don't want to buy anymore test stuff, I dunno about other parts of the world but here in Hamilton, NZ all the kits are really expensive.

I am at wits end on what I am doing wrong, I really don't know ....... :unsure:

We have had the tank for about 4 months, but when we first got it, I was never told any of the stuff on here, does everyone struggle with getting it right??

thxs for your help!

How many gallons is 25 litres? Anyways the tetreas should be in groups of atleast 5 to feel comfortable. The rummy nose is probably lonely and would be much happier with some more of it's own kind. :thumbs: Only if you have enough room though, I am not sure how many gallons a 25 litre is. Most "sucker fish" are common plecs and they can get over 18 inches long! :eek: You should try looking on www.planetcatfish.com to see if you can try to identify him. Can you describe to me what he looks like or can you take any pictures?

Hi..if the black bag is carbon....if it has been in for over a month...it could have reached it's capacity to absorb 'bad stuff' and may need to either be changed or removed. Many people run their tanks without carbon if you have an expense issue. SH

Most reactions

Back