Pump & Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

George&Ade

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive heard and read so many conflicting views about the above,so maybe someone would be able to tell me if your supposed to leave your pump and filter running all year round.
Also,what about the pump i use to "aireate the water" (airballs)
Leave that on too?......or turn it off? :dunno:
Very technical and involved stuff this pond keeping isnt it? :whistle:

I leave all my equipment on all year including filter, air pump and pumps. During the winter the flowing water stops the water from freezing, however, if it is possible raise the pump and air stones at least 6"-12" of the bottom of the pond to leave the bottom of the pond relativly still, this then keeps at a slightly higher temperature aiding the fish through winter, it is not a must but helps IMO and IME. :)

hmm ryan id tend to agree but your ponds are huge,on a smaller scale id be tempted to lower the fountain heads etc just in case ,an example would be a friend of a friend who left his pump running the surface of the pond froze and the pump pumped all the water onto the frozen surface which overflowed leaving the pond empty under the ice killing the fish :-(

Ok Ryan....thanks.
Thats a good idea about lifting the airballs up off the floor slightly.
Oh.....have a nice holiday by the way :nod:

Hi bribones.
Yep ive got just the one picture at the moment (not a very good one though,makes the pond look crooked)
Ill get out there and take some more tomorrow.
Ive also made a frame out of bamboo,and sewn across the pong netting to keep away any herons or local cats.
Anyway,this is the only one till tomorrow

Yeah sorry I forgot that you won't be able to lift them up to much, but the air balls can go on pond shelves and the pumps aren't as important as they are the intakes and are not disturbing the water as much.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back