preg guppy

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

emgclover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello everyone, i have had my female guppies for about 2 and a half to 3 weeks now and one has a dark gravid spot. She had this when i first got her but she hasnt gotten fat, the only thing thats making me think she might be pregnant is the fact she has a gravid spot. surely she should be bulging by now!

If she's young and this is one of her first batches she may not get as large as some of the ones that you have seen posted by our members. There are lots of factors to how large they get such as feeding, maturity, number of fry etc. Hang in there... :)

ALASKA

Ok thanx, what sort of signs shall i look out for then if she isnt gettin fat? how will i know when to put her into a seperate tank?

If you think she is pregnant and you have a separate tank with the same parameters as the one she is in now then move her out any time. Don't wait too long because as they get closer to having the fry they may get stressed by the move and have the fry early and they may not live. If she doesnt have her fry in the next 2 weeks move her back because you have had her for a couple of weeks already and guppies have their fry evry 28 days or so. HTH :)

The kind of behavior I look for, and have witnessed, a few hours before birth are:
  • Hanging around the heater.
  • Stomach turns kind of squarish.
  • Kind of hard to say it right, but the anal tube thingy will get bigger.
  • You can see the babies inside her gravid spot.
  • Mine tend to spray their fins out in a stressed look, also.
Mine never really showed the loss of apetite, which alot of people mention as a symptom. Now, these are not all the symtoms and signals, Im sure, but these are the best I could do off the top of my head for now.

Good luck with her! ;)

Dakota

thanx everyone you have all been a great help.
I'll keep you updated with news about her!
p.s she is called jet by the way cos her tail it completely black.

Hey again, an update on how jet is doing. I moved her and another pregnant female guppy into a seperate tank quiet a while ago. they are both very plump now and the babies are due any day. Jet is VERY active lately and makes 'sharp' type movements while the other female pecks at her a little sometimes. should i be concerened about any of these?
Ok there has been a change now, they are both staying at the top of the tank staying very still and breathing heavily. one stays at an angle i'm confused! are all these just signs?

Most reactions

Back