Possible Fin Rot

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Two of my bettas look to have fin rot. Their fins look somewhat frayed and not full. Is Melafix the best thing to treat them with. The water parameters are perfect but I do have filters in both tanks. Could the moving water be stressing them out? One of them has been in his tank since December with the same set up so I don't think the filter would be the problem.

I have 4 bettas - all of them have the same problem with their fins/tails. They're all veiltails, and their tails always hang down and sort of curl over like they're a curtain draped down onto the floor. I keep their water really sparkly clean, so I don't think it's a water condition - I have yet to figure out what it is. I know it's a mild case of finrot, but it never gets really any worse or better. ooh it drives me nuts!

BUT... if you wanna try some meds for your boys, you could try the MelaFix, although i've never had any luck with it and I"ve heard that when it does work, it takes its sweet old time. The benefit to it is that it's more of a natural herbal remedy than harsh meds. If the tails aren't deteriorating really fast, you might give it a try. Otherwise you might want to try something stronger like Maracyn or something.

Aquarium salt is a great healing agent also.

Melafix worked for me 5ml per 10 gallons for 7 days with no water changes to cure fin rot on my plec0, angels and corys. I did vacuum the gravel with a battery powered unit to keep the tank clean and bumped up the air output on my power head.

Fin rot took about 2 weeks to notice significant regrowth after treatment.

I just bought this crystal medicine for fungus diseases. It seemed to have worked, it says repeat in 4 days. It also contains an ingredient that causes cancer... how scary is that???????

Jen21 said:
I just bought this crystal medicine for fungus diseases. It seemed to have worked, it says repeat in 4 days. It also contains an ingredient that causes cancer... how scary is that???????
The sun causes cancer but I love the beach, go figure.

Most reactions

Back