POORLY FISH

oldskool

Reaction score
I recentley purchased 2 dwarf gouramis 2 weeks ago and the male has been poorly ever since I put him in the tank. To begin with he was very timid and always hid but over the past couple of days he keeps laying on his side - I tried differnet food and tried him issolated but he just doesnt wanna do anything - I try to move him and he always responds - he can still swim but the minute he settles down he just lies on his side agian. what should I do.

The shop I got him from were unconcerned so I definately won,t be going back to them for more fish - is it more humane to put him out of his misery now or shall I still try to save him - I really want him to live but he looks like he has given in a long time ago - evry day I wake up I am suprised he is still alive.

to help us help you can you post your water parameters
pH, nitrAte, nitrIte, ammonia are the most important
kH, gH and any other tests you can get are of secondary importance
also what temp is the tank running at?

Hi, My water ph is 6.8 the tank temperature is 75 -76 and my nitrite tests all come out clear - all my other fish are perfectly healthy - all feed well and are lively - this is the first poorly fish I have had - the female I brough at the same time is lively and a has been fine - I would say she is the happiest fish in the tank. My water is crystal clear and I feed twice a day for two minutes. I have a 39 gallon tank with 10 platties - 2 dwarf gourami - 3 gouramis and a red tailed black shark - I usually take a water sample to my lfs every two weeks and he checks it for me free of charge - (lucky boy) - so far I have had no call for concern about the water - I was really asking was the fish probally already sick when I got him and how long do you let a fish suffer when you can she he is in obvious distress .

I'm assuming he was fine in the LFS tank; also that the water parameters of your tank cannot be much different from the tank he was in before (as the female is fine).
Often the move to a new tank stresses fish to the point where they become susceptible to disease, but as to what disease yours has, there's not much to go on... Can you give us more details as regards symptoms? Swellings, breathing rate, damage to fins, spots, lumps, missing scales, anything more would all help. Is there any chance he could have got bashed in transit - this can cause swim bladder injuries.
In the meantime, I would keep changing the water, as even if the parameters look fine it could be something thats not being measured (e.g. furniture polish, phosphates). I'd also suggest that you try not to move him when he's resting on his side, as it will probablly be stresssing him some more.
I generally reckon its a bad idea to put meds in the tank until you know what you're treating.

The fish has no symtoms what so ever - when I first put him in the tank he was very shy and hid straight away - he was in a tank with no hiding places before -he always hid after feeding and despite changing his diet he still looked no better. The journey way only five minutes form door to door and I am sure he came to no harm in transit. when stimulated by the other fish in the tank he will swim away just fime and be okay for a minute or so then he finds somewhere to lie on his side. His breathing is not heavy and he is still a very vibrant color - the best looking fish in the tank - he has no fin damage or spots - he still looks very healthy, but he wont swim and looks unhappy

That is just odd!! Gouramies just shouldn't rest on the bottom on their sides, it just isn't what they do (well, obviously yours does!!!!) - mine are not the most active, but nothing like that. To me, it seems like a sign of a very ill gouramy?
Am totally stumped. Unless its confused and thinks he's a loach or something!!!! :blink:
No doubt someone will be along with better advice in a minute, but if you're convinced the water is fine and he's not got any other symptoms, I'd be inclined just to be nice to him and keep a close eye for further clues for the moment.
Pls let us know how he gets on.

the temp seems a bit low to me, maybe raise it by a few degrees and see if that makes a differance. Idealy you should be at 78-79f

I raised the water to 77-78 last night when I got home but unfortunately he died at 7.15 last night - gutted (me not the fish). I can only assume that he was ill when I got him as I got my water tested last night and it was fine.

thanks to all who posted

regards

Dave :no:

:( At least you tried your best with him. Sorry couldn't be more help to you.

Most reactions

Back