Poorley Platy

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nogin

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to these forums and also a newb aquarist.

My setup is 36"x12"x15" 106 litre tank with Fluval3+, air pump with 2 airstones and temp is 74 deg cel. The tank is in the 6th day of cycling and has had one water change of 10%. All water has been treated and fish are fed the very minimum. I added 6 platies (3 sunset and 3 silver with a back part on tail) after running the tank empty for over a week. Amonia is at 0.6 on the tetra test kit tint of yellow and nitrite is low too.

Now one of my sunset platies seems to be a little withdrawn, always hiding and doesnt swim much. All the other platies are ok but seem to attack this porley one every now and then.

IMGP0475.jpg

note his dorsal and tail fin, does that look right to you ? All the other platys have spead fins.

Any diagnosis would be helpfull.

Thanks
Nogs

Only 6 days into the cycle.......The thing is your ammonia will spike then your nitrites will spike, both these spikes are hazardous to your fish that is why your platy is looking stressed with the clamped dorsal fin. All I can suggest is keep a close eye on all your water levels and keep an eye on your platy and be ready to do daily water changes to keep water levels down. I'm no expert but that my opinion.HTH :)

Yes I agree dosn't look like the fish is coping, add some salt to the tank that will help them out abit and do a water change, you might loose that platys due to the cycle.

Done another 10% water change today and he seems to be a bit perkier and fins more spread. Will do another tomorrow and see how he looks later.

Thanks for your replies ;)

Nogs

Most reactions

Back