Polypteris

polypterus senegalus, a.k.a cuviers bichir, a.k.a. senegal polypterus. great fish! im up to 6 of them! i love the little critters! as far as food, mine eat everything from pellets, to live, to canned peas, to what ever i have on hand. they are very good eaters. i would really only be worried about the swordtail.

dr. booger...just for reference, when you eat a big meal do you....

a.) run around like a mad man.

or

b.) relax and let the food digest.

or

c.) take over the world.

haha! i hope you answered b.)

this is very normal when senegals fill up they are like crenicichla, they kinda just lag around all day and dont do much! once the food is fully digested your bichir will be back to normal.

dr. booger...just for reference, when you eat a big meal do you....

a.) run around like a mad man.

or

c.) take over the world.

or

b.) relax and let the food digest.

haha! i hope you answered b.)

this is very normal when senegals fill up they are like crenicichla, they kinda just lag around all day and dont do much! once the food is fully digested your bichir will be back to normal.

Actualy, i was about to anwser c :devil:, until i read number b :angel: (hint: read above.)

lmao! i was thinking the same thing...anyway got any pics of the little guy/girl? ill trade pics with you! i got a couple of my senegals. i think i have one or two of my ornate too.

lmao! i was thinking the same thing...anyway got any pics of the little guy/girl? ill trade pics with you! i got a couple of my senegals. i think i have one or two of my ornate too.

I havent yet been able to get a picture of him, because everytime he is in a good spot, i grab my camera, and when i get back he is hiding somewhere :|

But once i get a good pic, ill let ya know!.

yeah sorry about the booger thing...i re-read your name and apologize for that, i wasnt poking fun! just p.m. me when you get a shot of him! im waiting on a cheap p. palmas buttikoferi. i love those darn things!! i honestly believe this statement

once you buy one poly. you NEVER stop.

you will always want more. i buy them even though i know im running out of room. i just love their personalities. they arent very aggressive to smaller fish of the same species too. i added 2 3" sens. with my 4 6"-8" sens/ornate and they dont bother the little ones at all.

good luck with the new bichir! once you get a bigger tank for the knife, BUY MORE POLYS! hahaha!

yeah sorry about the booger thing...i re-read your name and apologize for that, i wasnt poking fun! just p.m. me when you get a shot of him! im waiting on a cheap p. palmas buttikoferi. i love those darn things!! i honestly believe this statement

once you buy one poly. you NEVER stop.

you will always want more. i buy them even though i know im running out of room. i just love their personalities. they arent very aggressive to smaller fish of the same species too. i added 2 3" sens. with my 4 6"-8" sens/ornate and they dont bother the little ones at all.

good luck with the new bichir! once you get a bigger tank for the knife, BUY MORE POLYS! hahaha!

haha, i didnt even noticed you called me booger... i guess im so used to it, i didnt even notice.

Also, i got like 1 or 2 pictures the best i could of him...

Im also recording a video of the entire tank with my camcorder... i will post a short video of it once i edit the video, which proly wont be till tomorrow.

I'll PM you the pic tho in about 5 mins.

Thanks.

Dr. Booger :look:

dear dr. BOOGER...haha!
i cant wait to take new pics of my polys. i just bought my girlfriend a new sony dsc t70 for her b-day/valentines day. check out my thread with my new betta pics. not for the betta pics. though, for the quality of the pics. i am stoked to use it on my bigger tank.

dear dr. BOOGER...haha!

Gee, Thanks :|

And good luck with the pics...

Also, I have that video coming here within the next hour, so instead of sending you those pics, im gonna send you the video instead... Hell, I'll even post a link to it here, but please, no complaints as to all the guppies in the tank with him... Yes, I KNOW they will be eaten eventually... i aint stupid :p, and also, please no complaints about my gravel possible not being good for the bichir.. i know all about it... and yes, i know about the plastic plants possibly scratching away the slime coating, too.

Give me a while to upload the video, i will post back as soon as i have a link to it.

dear dr. BOOGER...haha!

Also, I have that video coming here within the next hour, so instead of sending you those pics, im gonna send you the video instead... Hell, I'll even post a link to it here, but please, no complaints as to all the guppies in the tank with him... Yes, I KNOW they will be eaten eventually... i aint stupid :p, and also, please no complaints about my gravel possible not being good for the bichir.. i know all about it... and yes, i know about the plastic plants possibly scratching away the slime coating, too.

Give me a while to upload the video, i will post back as soon as i have a link to it.

i woulndt worry about the gravel, as long as your not feeding pellets that resemble the gravel you will be fine. just use fresh food like frozen krill and bloodworms.

dear dr. BOOGER...haha!

i woulndt worry about the gravel, as long as your not feeding pellets that resemble the gravel you will be fine. just use fresh food like frozen krill and bloodworms.

Actually, when I had gravel in my tank (it is now sand), the bichir would stick his nose in the gravel to snap up the food. On more than one occasion, he chomped a piece of gravel. Luckily, he always spit it out.

Ryan

dear dr. BOOGER...haha!

Actually, when I had gravel in my tank (it is now sand), the bichir would stick his nose in the gravel to snap up the food. On more than one occasion, he chomped a piece of gravel. Luckily, he always spit it out.

Ryan
i have never had this problem and i have owned 9 bichirs. i just hope it never does happen. but you said they spit it out, so thats a bit reassuring. good to know they will tell the difference.

hey, I got a question for those who own a Bichir.

My Bichir is about 4 1/2" long, And i need to know how many Cubes of the frozen food to feed every night?

Keep in mind, my filter will grab some, as well as my guppies i have in the tank.

Currently Im feeding frozen brine shrimp, but i will be buying other frozen foods soon also.

I just need to know how much to feed him.

I know when i feed him only 1 cube, he keeps looking around in the gravel for it, but i only see him actualy eat a few bites, which is not very much.

sorry the pics are crappy. i didnt have much time, my fish werent working with me very well, and i still dont really know what settings do what on the new camera. there will be more updates! i hope these hold you over.

hey, I got a question for those who own a Bichir.

My Bichir is about 4 1/2" long, And i need to know how many Cubes of the frozen food to feed every night?

Keep in mind, my filter will grab some, as well as my guppies i have in the tank.

Currently Im feeding frozen brine shrimp, but i will be buying other frozen foods soon also.

I just need to know how much to feed him.

I know when i feed him only 1 cube, he keeps looking around in the gravel for it, but i only see him actualy eat a few bites, which is not very much.

at his size i would recomend feeding something that is higher in nutrients, cause i know brine has very little. try about one frozen cube of blood worms (i prefer omega one.) at a time, or just get whole frozen krill and feed him one piece at a time until he no longer wants to eat.

I would go for krill, mysis shrimp, prawns, and bloodworms as a good place to start. If he will accept pellets, great! Feed him until he is not showing very much interest in food anymore, then net the rest out. Just experiment a bit.

Ryan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back