Pollutants from Emperor 400s????

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I also thought the bio wheels were for biological filtration and the cartridges were for chemical and mechanical. I have a bio wheel and a filter with two slots for cartridges. I rotate a new one in and an old one out every month without disturbing the biowheel.

RZS said:
newfishies said:
i thought you are just supposed to rinse the cartridges in tank water every few weeks, not replace them?  :S
Marineland (who makes the filter) recommends changing the media every month to two months depending on your load.
Keep in mind, these filter carts are VERY expensive. Marineland would love you to change them every 3 to 4 weeks. :shifty:

IME, if you do weekly water changers and don't over-feed your fish, you shouldn't have to change them that often, unless you're trying to remove meds from the tank.

When I do my weekly water change, I tank the carts out and swoosh them in the dirty tank water. Do this, and they will last alot longer. :thumbs:

I doubt changing the filter cartridges would cause a mini-cycle as long as the dual bio-wheels are functioning properly (spinning). I, however, change one cartridge at a time, never both at once. Also, as long as you cut out the carbon you can go well over the month or so Marineland recommends changing the cartridges. Like someone already mentioned, just rinse them in tank water to keep them from clogging. The nice thing about having a bio-wheel is that you can really rinse them well.

teacherspet said:
I also thought the bio wheels were for biological filtration and the cartridges were for chemical and mechanical. I have a bio wheel and a filter with two slots for cartridges. I rotate a new one in and an old one out every month without disturbing the biowheel.
That sounds like a good idea for normal maintenance... staggering them.

This case was an exception since he left it unchanged for so long.

Thanks.

cometcattle said:
Keep in mind, these filter carts are VERY expensive. Marineland would love you to change them every 3 to 4 weeks. :shifty:

IME, if you do weekly water changers and don't over-feed your fish, you shouldn't have to change them that often, unless you're trying to remove meds from the tank.

When I do my weekly water change, I tank the carts out and swoosh them in the dirty tank water. Do this, and they will last alot longer. :thumbs:
Thanks.

FISHAREFUN said:
I doubt changing the filter cartridges would cause a mini-cycle as long as the dual bio-wheels are functioning properly (spinning). I, however, change one cartridge at a time, never both at once. Also, as long as you cut out the carbon you can go well over the month or so Marineland recommends changing the cartridges. Like someone already mentioned, just rinse them in tank water to keep them from clogging. The nice thing about having a bio-wheel is that you can really rinse them well.
I swapped out the carbon for floss considering the things I've heard about it (carbon) recently.

I think I have adopted another tank... not that I needed one!

Thanks again.

;)

I put floss in the media containers too. Helps "polish" the water. I think it is a great filter. Hey, adopting a tank is a cheaper way to have another tank. It gets expensive when you have MTS! :D

FISHAREFUN said:
I put floss in the media containers too. Helps "polish" the water. I think it is a great filter. Hey, adopting a tank is a cheaper way to have another tank. It gets expensive when you have MTS! :D
:lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back