PLEASE HELP, BIG EMERGENCY

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bluefire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
after school my perfectly fine fish, are now looking like they won't make it through the night, around six of my fish gouramis ,danios, guppies have been affected by something eating away at their mouth and the wound has a white outline, some of them can barely swim PLEASE HELP IMMEDIATELY

Hi bluefire :)

I think this link might help you. It includes recommended medications that both US and UK lfs carry.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/BetaFrameset.htm

You will have to act fast, but before you do anything, do a very big water change and a good bottom vacuuming.

Good luck. I hope your fish recover soon.

thanx for the quick reply but the site didn't have much about it, from the slide show it could be that mouth fungus flexibacter(sp?) thing, i have aquari-cycline tablets and the tank has melafix in it so do u think i should add the tablets?

and i added new plants on saturday could these have possibly brought the disease in?

Hi bluefire

No, I don't think it was the plants. Fish catch bacterial infections from bacteria that are commonly found in tanks, but only when something has caused them to have a lowered immune system. It's like when some people get a cold and others don't. Please reread the article and you will see how this works.

You don't have your location in your profile, but since I don't recognize the meds you have, I will guess it's not in the US. Since you already have MelaFix in the water and it isn't helping, if your meds are for Bacterial infections, I suggest you use them. If not, wait and get something tomorrow, but don't waste any time because it could get worse quickly.

But, I do recommend a big water change right now.

ok ill do a water change, ive only been nome and hour and ive noticed it get worse. could it have been caused by the water change yesterday, even though its the normal one i do out of 150 liters i didn't even change 40

the medication is for tetracycline sensitive bacteria, could this help?

Water changes are good. For the health of your fish, you need to do them regularly and change at least 25% a week. If you can do more, it's even better. Think of it as opening the window in a crowded room. All the bad air goes out and fresh air comes in. It's that way with a water change too.

You don't have to worry about disturbing your beneficial bacteria when you change the water, because it is clinging to the gravel and filter media and is not floating in the water. It will remain in your tank. :D

OK, you have a good product there, possibly the best kind of antibiotic available for fish. After you do your water change, start using them right away.

Let me give you a word of caution about using antibiotics in your tank. Once you have begun a course of treatment with them, it is most important that you continue as the directions tell you. Do not, under any circumstances, stop before you have done that. Even if the fish appear completely cured, do not stop early.

The reason for this is to make sure that all the harmful bacteria are dead. If any survive, they could become resistant to the antibiotic and you will not be able to get rid of them. It is the same when humans get a prescription for them.

You also risk damaging your beneficial bacteria, since antibiotics are not always selective about what they kill. But right now, the important thing to do is to save your fish. You can regrow the beneficial bacteria later if need be.

Good luck :thumbs:

one of my danios just died, i ve had him for like two years and he lived throught everything:(
and now some of the fish are starting to get popeye finrot and other tuff, what the hell cold have caused this?

What are your water parameters?

It sounds most likely to me that the fish have been under stress, and as inchworm said, this lowered their immune system, thus making them vulnerable to the diseases. This seems logical to me as your fish seem to have multiple infections.

If possible, provide your location so that someone else can come along and provide you with a good wide-spectrum antibiotic. In the meantime, do a partial water change everyday if possible, this will keep the bacteria levels down.

P.T.

all the infected fish are now dead, 6 of them it was too quick for me to stop coz they started dying after less than 12 hours

i think i have found the culprit, there was a slight reading of ammonia in the tap water

Hi bluefire

I'm so sorry about your loss. :byebye:

It sounds like Flexibacter, which can and does, wipe out whole tanks of fish, just like it did to yours. If so, even though you did your best to save them, it was too late right from the start.

Please do not let this discourage you. Fishkeeping can be a wonderful hobby, but there's not a one of us who hasn't had problems along the way. Do you still have other fish in that tank? If so, how are they? :unsure:

Most reactions

Back