Platy Mating Behavior?

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all!!

So I purchased 3 platies 2 days ago, 2 female and 1 male. They are currently in my 5g quarantine tank. Yesterday the male was harassing both of the females and now today he is all chummy chummy with one and is being mean to the other one for no apparent reason. I can tell she is very stressed out cuz she keeps glass surfing. I know the tank is small and there are only a few places where she can hide. Also, I've seen her do that tail wave as well.

I've never had livebearers before so this is very new to me. I did read the articles regarding livebearers, and it did answer a few of my other questions. I'm assuming that the two chummy ones either have mated or will mate. When they are close to each other, they make their tails do this waving thing.

I have 2 questions.
What is that behavior?
Should I take the other female out? I'm hesitant to put her in my 75g only because I just don't want to put them at risk.

All suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

So the other female is no longer surfing but is now doing that waving thing. Also, the male isn't bothering her as much. Man, these guys are making me crazy 🤪

How did you sex the platys? Did you ask the store to do it, or have you checked the anal fin to see if it's pointed (as it is with males)? No disrespect intended, but you would not be the first to encounter a kid in a pet shop who winged it with no knowledge, and the fish do seem to be pulling male moves.

Actually both. Initially I asked my lfs to pick out 2 females and 1 male. He showed me how to tell them apart.

How did you sex the platys? Did you ask the store to do it, or have you checked the anal fin to see if it's pointed (as it is with males)? No disrespect intended, but you would not be the first to encounter a kid in a pet shop who winged it with no knowledge, and the fish do seem to be pulling male moves.
Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 20230213_123255.jpg
    20230213_123255.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 23
Here is a pic.
Yes, that's a male.
But you just had them for two days. It can be that they still have to settle in. And that some dominance is involved. If that's the case, it will pass.

Most reactions

Back