platty and molly question

fishy business

Reaction score
Ive been thinking of gettin some plattys and mollys, prob only one male and female of each, when ever i go in my lfs's they never have them seperate, can i buy them like 1 male and 1 female or is it guess work ?

It's fairly easy to sex platies once they're mature.

Look at the fins on the underside (pelvic and anal fins)

The females have all three fins more or less the same rounded shapo

Males have rounded pelvic fins and a a long, pointed anal fin.

Females also tend to be shorter and rounder.

sword_tail_female.jpg

Female Swordtail ( close relative of Platy / Molly )
notice the bottom fins are more or less the same

sword_tail_young_male.jpg

Male Swordtail
notice the anal fin is elongated.

Good luck with your livebearers! Hope you have a place for all your babies :D

are you asking about discerning the difference between a platty and a molly, or a male and a female? I don't know about platties and mollies, but the anal fin *giggles, can't help it* on female fish looks like a regular fin while the anal fin of a male is called the gonopodium and is elongated. You should be able to tell easily. See the pics on this page:

http://fish.orbust.net/livebearers.html

i was after the difference between the male and female.

thanks guys.

Any idea how long a guppy is pregnant for ?

fishy business said:
i was after the difference between the male and female.

thanks guys.

Any idea how long a guppy is pregnant for ?
About 30 days.

From my own experience with mollies and platies I would suggest you get at least 2 females for each male you buy, more if you have room in your tank. When i first bought mine I had one male and one female platy. Within a few days the female hid continuously and soon died. I was told it was because the guy was pestering her too much. Went out and bought 4 females.. everyone's quite happy now!! The male livebearers are quite.. ummmm.. 'active' :whistle: which can stress the female out... need to spead the wealth, so to speak :p

good luck!

Valerie

Most reactions

Back