• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fish_master

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello people i have developed a system that uses the fish waste for the plants to grow so whilst the plants are getting a feed they are also taking the toxins out of the water this system is available powerless or wiht use of power and i am interested to know would people actualy buy this product the survey will help me to get to the 2007 invention convention
thanks clay

can you explain your product a bit more.

just taking water from your tank (at your normal water change time) and putting this on your plants/garden will help plants grow as it's high in nitrates, using any fishy poo that's siphoned out will also help just as a fertiliser.

I'm not sure how/why anyone would need any product to help them do this, just don't throw your fishy water down the drain, put it on the garden.

:dunno:

As the MRs said....

tank water is high in phosphates and nitrates, compaired to tap water so simply saving it and dumping it on your plants will work.

I have never thought about putting it on the garden, but from now on I am going to (but I am just going to pour it from a bucket).

Would it be safe on vegies?

Thanks for the idea.

well u see the point of this system is more not so much aquarium fishes but eating fishes in a an aquaculture type system where the water is continuasly flowing through the plants filtering it and back to the plants and never having to let water out other than very small amounts of waste and toping up because of evaperation and the plants grow bed acts as a filter

So basically, it is a earth filter? You are filtering the tank water with plants????? I would vote yes, but I dont understand. I have not voted yet, so I am waiting for a better deffinition.

It seems sort of like a refugium to me. In saltwater, many people grow macroalgae or mangrove plants and run the tank water through them before returning it to the display. It's a very good method of reducing nitrates. :good:

yes exactly u have the idea and all the denitrafiying bacteria lives in the floating pots with in the tanks filled with medium such as perlite or vermiculite wich is used in hydroponics and the good thing about it is that its uses no power at all

oh right i think i get what you mean now.

while it's a good idea you'd need a hell of a lot of plants compared to a relatively small amount of fish so I can't see the system working as the only filtration on the tank. remember plants will use up ammonia much more readily than they will nitrate so i think eventually your nitrates would go through the roof if you didn't also do water changes.

perhaps running it alongside a small filter would be best, have the water from the tank go through the filter first then the output from the filter could go to the plant section. that way the filter would deal with ammonia and nitrite in the conventional way then the plants could suck up the nitrate keeping it lower.

however the fish and plants would eventually use up the minerals in the water so you'd need to do pretty regular top off i think to keep it running healthily. Have a look for a long topic in tropical chat a week or two ago about RO water, it talks about the need to remineralise your water and why the fish need it.

Most reactions

Back