Plants and nitrate

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a low level of nitrates in my well water. What are some plants that will effectively lower nitrate levels in a 5 gallon tank that will not overwhelm the tank with proliferation.

Hello. What level of nitrates are you talking about? 20 ppm (parts per million) is very acceptable for most hardy fish species.

Hello. What level of nitrates are you talking about? 20 ppm (parts per million) is very acceptable for most hardy fish species.

I am talking about for a shrimp tank.

Floaters like frog bit, red root floaters or salvinia (and others) are pretty good at taking care of free nitrates. They are prolific, but that is the point with nitrogen removal. Just remove the extra and toss it as it gets too dense. You may want a two stage process though where you put the extra in a clear container and make sure you shake out any shrimp babies. They like to hide in the roots

I am talking about for a shrimp tank.
Hello again. The shrimp will need nitrate readings lower than fish. But, if you've been keeping shrimp for some time, you'll already know this. Shrimp will feel the effects of nitrates in the 20 ppm range, So, naturally, you'll want to keep the level lower. May be obvious to most, but not to everyone.

I have blue dream shrimp in my 5 gallon heavily planted. I am currently dosing urea (CO2(NH2) at the equivalent to 10ppm NO3 and have about 20 to 30 shrimp in the tank. All plant willl consume nitrogen WHEN GROWING. If your plants are not growing they are not consuming nitrogen.

I have blue dream shrimp in my 5 gallon heavily planted. I am currently dosing urea (CO2(NH2) at the equivalent to 10ppm NO3 and have about 20 to 30 shrimp in the tank. All plant willl consume nitrogen WHEN GROWING. If your plants are not growing they are not consuming nitrogen.
Thanks. Why are you dosing with urea?

Thanks. Why are you dosing with urea?
urea is a chemical you can buy from any chemical store. Most people does potassium nitrate to add nitrogen to the water. But it also adds more potassium than needed. Urea does not add any potassium. Seachem Nitrogen is primarily Urea.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back