Pictus catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

diVer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a pictus catfish in the near future. I was looking at them in a Petsmart and it said they get up to 10 inches long. But I was just on planet catfish and it said they get up to about 5 inches long. Which length is correct?

The first to posts will be deleted by mods soon, as for the Pictus they usually reach a rough size of 5-7 inches in captivity.

Good Luck :)

Pictus are one of those fish that nobody knows there actuall max. size. Most people say 5-6 inches but, on the other hand, a lot of people think they can get to a foot or more. A lot of Pictus die earlier than they would in the wild so people don't get to see their max. size. In other words it will probably grow then slow down but still growing then it dies.

Pictus cats actually are a large group of unclassified catfish (unnamed) all clumped together under the name pimelodus pictus, the two main one we see in the trade come from Colombia or Peru, the former of which can grow to lengths of 12", the peruvian species only reaches about 6". All the species look very similar in appearance with the only noticable difference being that some species (mainly the colombian) have larger spots which are more spaced out, this morph is often sold as Angelicus pim.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back