Pictus catfish??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deano

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive got what ive always thought to be a pictus catfish....it matches the description perfectly and looks very similar to ones ive seen at many fs.

The only thing that it hasnt got is long barbules....they are quite short..about 1cm in length

Could this be to do with it being quite young? Will they grow as it gets older? It is about 3 1/2 inches at the moment

Hi Deano :)

You could have a pictus with injured barbels. :-(

This often happens when it lives in a tank with large or sharp stones on the bottom. What kind of substrate do you have in your tank? :unsure:

I have gravel in my tank with a few larger stones which are smooth and are not sharp at all. Ive had a closer look at the barbules and they look fine to me, they dont look injured.

Hello

Do you have the pictus in the same tank as your signature? When I was ordering my new last week I asked about picuses for my biggest tank (I originally wanted talking cats) and was told thay they would eat my cardinal tetra and my other tera as well I suppose. My cardinals are 1"+.

:blink:

Hi yes i have the catfish in the tank mentioned in the signature but i recently found out that it isnt a pictus after all....it is a Synodontis decorus (or clown catfish).

He is very shy though and hides in his log, only coming out at feeding time

Ive heard that pictus catfish do eat smaller fish like the cardinals

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back