Picture of pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

George&Ade

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi.Just thought i would put a picture of my pond on here as its all complete now.
I made up a frame of bamboo and netting to keep the pesky herons away,and if you can see the stick stood up at the side of the waterfall......well....i use that to "hook" the top part of the frame (at the base of the waterfall) and pull it upwards towards me and i can move it on my own to clean the pool,clean out the pump etc....
To put the frame back on again is just the opposite to taking it off(use the hook on the top,and with one foot on the bottom,just lower it back into position) :cool:
Took me bloody ages to make and stitch all the netting around too :rofl:
Oh well........i thought it was a good idea anyway.......lol

that looks great! I don't know why you have the grate over it, but if I were you, I'd move it, unless there's a good reason.....but, it looks fantastic! How do you keep cats out? I wish I had a pond, but my garden really wouldn't suit it. My family really aren't the gardener type lol, and besides, my mum wouldn't let me, because of the mosquitoes breedon the pond. How do you deal with mosquitoes?

shmeepie said:
that looks great! I don't know why you have the grate over it, but if I were you, I'd move it, unless there's a good reason.....but, it looks fantastic! How do you keep cats out? I wish I had a pond, but my garden really wouldn't suit it. My family really aren't the gardener type lol, and besides, my mum wouldn't let me, because of the mosquitoes breedon the pond. How do you deal with mosquitoes?
The fish deal with the mosquitoes :D

Cool pond :thumbs:

Hi shmeepie.
Well,ive made up that cover try to stop the cats and a heron that seems to visit our neighbourhood from time to time.
I realise that herons eat fish,and if i was to lose any,i would be very upset,but the main reason is......my next door neighbours pond developed a leak last year after a visit from the heron.
Not only did he lose 4 fish.......the heron punctured the lining of the pond with its beak.
He had to go through the hassle of putting the remaining fish into a mates pond while he drained his to repair the hole.(The hole was 4 inches from the bottom)
Anyway,decided to build this pond as its so nice to come home from work and just sit and relax by it,with a beer,and a smoke,and watch the fish come up to the surface "begging" for food.......ha ha
Yep,only had them about 2 weeks now,but already,they seem to know when its feeding time :rofl:

asorry shmeepie, but you ask why it has a cover then ask how to keep the cat out :rofl:

Thast exactly how i made my pond cover a while back, I posted it up in the DIY section. I lashed the canes togther then put glue over it but it's slipping about now, and didn't both with the edge bit as ours is a funny shape!!

How did you fix the canes together?

Looking great :thumbs:

Thats a good idea with the canes,we could do with something like that,we've already had a visit by the heron. :nod:

Ponds looking good george &ada :)

I fixed the canes to gether like this........
I laid one on top of the other....drilled a tiny hole through the top piece of bamboo,then carefully hammered a small nail through the 2 pieces.
I then used2 of those plastic electrical ties on each joint.
This seemed to be quite strong,but when i also used metal garden twine (from B&Q)to sew the netting to the bamboo.......this really made it strong.
If you look at the front of the frame,you will see in both corners,i have added 2 very small lenghts of bamboo,sewed them to the frame as well,then i was able to cut out a small section of netting to allow the flowers to grow through.
I dont know how long the netting will last before it begins to rot,but i spose i may get a few years use out of it.

0o0 you cheated using cable ties :rolleyes: I was going for the natural look but it turned out the glue I used was wood glue not PVA so dried a milky white.

I might try that but drill completely though and bolt it :thumbs: Could really do with canes on the perimeter as the edge of the netting just flaps around!!

We have this green nylon stuff on our bottom pond and finer black plastic stuff on the top to make it better protected for the koi in there. My mum uses this woven thread type on the fruit cage and she's had the same bit for over 5 years now I reakon.

Only thing wrong with that for my pond is the tall plants we have in it. -_- Would mean cutting holes in the netting.

Yeah i did cheat a little bit by using the cable ties :whistle:
I reckon a small nut and bolt would work fine though.
I know what you mean cat about the ta;;er plants,but ive just added some smaller pieces of bamboo.......sewn all around the new bits and then cut a hole in the netting.
A bit fiddly i suppose......but it keeps me busy :rofl:

Looks Great! I wish my pond turned out like that!!! I was only 8 when i designed my family's pond! since my dad wanted a higer pond so he could see it from the window, we used a horse trough as the first pond, a old acrilic aquarium as the second and used a kiddle pool as a mold for the 3rd. The thing leaks and once we get enough money we're gonna redisign it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back