Pics So Far

Its warming it back up thats the problem. I took two full days with 600W of heaters to bring it up to temp.

At second glance Rodders - I'm sure your trace is too much. I assume you'll be using CSM+B.

I only use 3 teaspoons mixed in 250ml RO water. I dose approx. 10ml solution every other day. So that's 50 days worth for 3 teaspoons.

My tank is 125 litre. You can see that 1.5 teaspoons is too much hopefully. You do the maths - I'm too tired!

It says 1/4 teaspoon for every 100litres.
Maybe I could split one dose over three days. So half teaspoon on 2,4 and 6th day.

This is the trace that im going to be using. Dose into the tank as required. So it could be more of a case of doing on the 2nd 4th and 6th day as I think its needed. But I think 1/2 a teaspoon on 2,4 and 6th day sounds good?

Your dosing estimates are correct, you could dose 1/4 of a teaspoon of KH2PO4 instead of 1/3 teaspoon this would give you approx 1.5ppm instead of 2ppm po4, im not sure on the trace as gf has allready pointed out with CSM+B you mix 3 teaspoons per 250ml RO water and thereafter you would dose 5ml for every 20 US gallons, so in your case that would be 40-45ml per dose approx, you can dose CSM+B dry but most mix it into a solution, but because we dont know if the trace mix Aquaessentials is using is the same as CSM+B the guidelines are probably different, you would really need to email Richard to find out.

For filling my own tank i use my own version of a python, it attaches onto the hot/cold mixer on my kitchen sink it makes it easy to control the temprature and i just add dechlorinator direct into the tank and fill with water, so i suppose small water changes quite regulary.

Have a look through all the threads in this section on this website, they deal exclusively with large planted tanks im sure you will pick up some good tips, its the only site i know of that has a section for large tanks, unfortunatly there are not that many threads because not many people are crazy enough to have huge planted tanks:)

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...isplay.php?f=91

For filling my own tank i use my own version of a python, it attaches onto the hot/cold mixer on my kitchen sink it makes it easy to control the temprature and i just add dechlorinator direct into the tank and fill with water, so i suppose small water changes quite regulary.

We just adjust the water temp to approximate the tank temp before we switch it over to fill. We just keep checking it to make sure the water heater doesn't kick in and make the water too hot after a few minutes. I guess not everyones faucets work that way???

Emailed Richard and he said 1 1/2 tespoons 3 times a week. So its gonna disappear rather fast and cost a lot. Might have to look into something cheaper.
Any ideas will be great!!!!

Anyway, let the dosing commence. Gonna go play scientice now and play with some chemicals -_-

Ok, so my nitrates were zero, so I dosed 2 teaspoons which should have raised the level to 10ppm.
Carried out a nitrate test a hour later and still zero??
Rather odd dont you think?? Maybe it takes longer to dissove down? Im not sure.
Im not adding more, ill wait till im due another dose and test again.
My phosphates are higher than they shoud be without dosing, this is probably casuing the algea bloom. I will keep an eye on that.
I have Hagen test kit for the phosphate and all I can say is its rubbish, dont buy one. One of the bottles is spose to self despense when you turn it upside down. It does that, but when you turn it back upright it pours out everywhere. So I've prob lost 10 or so tests!!

One more thing, I think im right in say 1mg/l = 1ppm??????
If not this is were my test kits are going wrong, cause im dosing in ppm, but testing in mg/l.

Hiya Rodders

1 mg/l = 1ppm Correct

Dont dose any more, if you dosed 2 teaspoons Kno3 you HAVE dosed 10ppm no3, make absolutely sure you have done the test correctly, nitrate testkits come in A and B make sure you shake the the B portion for at least 30 seconds or you may get a false or no reading at all, do the test again and shake the bottle really hard for the 30 seconds.

I have the Hagen phoshate testkit as well and i know what you mean, you have to be careful, but i do find it accurate i will give it that, it corresponded exactly with the water report i got from my local authorithy for my tapwater measurement.

I do have another test kit for nitrates, so I will use that, otherwise when I come to day 3 I wont know what my levels of nitrate are and wont be able to dose accordingly.

Done a nitrate test with another kit and that came out at 5ppm and the other 0ppm. So there is a little discrepency, but ill keep an eye on that.

Only other propblem it that the water has gone as murky as ever today. Its noot been that good for a while. Doh, hope it goes soon!!!

Most reactions

Back