Pearl Gouramis, male or female

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ibassplayer205

Reaction score
I have a pair of Pearl Gouramis and I cant really tell the sex. One of them is larger than the other. And the larger one chases the smaller one around all the time. Im assuming that the larger is male and the smaller is female. Am I right? Whats the best way to differentiate between sex?

The male should have a pointy anal fin while the female is more rounded. Do you see that? Could be one is older than the other though.

thanks for your responce. i went to a website that said that males do have a pointier anal fin and dorsal fin where the females are more rounded. When I went to look at the fins, they both seem to be females. Could this be a reason for the chasing. Oh yeah, the larger fish also ate about 25% of the fin that runs along the stomach of the smaller one, and the bottom of the dorsal fin. That was about a month ago, and recently the smaller fish seems to be growing its fins back. The new fin parts are black now but hopefully that will change. Ill post pictures later tonight

bob.jpg

Alright, this is the larger of the two. Seems to me (according to the anal/dorsal fin roundness) this is a female.
shanikwa.jpg

And this is the smaller. Also aparently a female. Notice the blackness of the rear fin section, thats the part thats growing back.

Pleas excuse the 'emptyness' of the tank, I am REALLY low on money :(

PS. ARE these pearl gouramis? The tank at the LFS said dwarf gouramis, i looked at pictures of gouramis and there was one that looked like these that said pearl, and now when i do a google search for pearl gouramis they look nothing like this. someone please tell me what kind of fish these are, i feel really dumb :sad:

AWESOME!!! I FINALLY KNOW FOR SURE WHAT KIND OF FISH I HAVE. THANK YOU DWARFS :kana:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back