Peacocks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MikeS

Reaction score
I'm getting my 125 gallon tank cycled. Is the ammonia method still recommended? That is, seeding the tank with some tank filter bacteria and adding ammonia until it's undetectable.

Once it's stable, I want to add peacock cichlids. I had numerous africans before, but the peacocks are beautiful. Except for costing $50 each, what elso should I know, such as will they eat plants, etc..

Thanks for your help, I remember these forums, whatever happened to Tom's Place and a guy named Robert Ricketts, I think he went by RRR.

Hi MikeS and welcome. :)

Not sure what you by the "ammonia method"?

Every cycle needs ammonia to start the Nitrogen cycle.

Please expound and we'd be more than happy to try and help you out. :)

I was thinking about the fishless cycle that I used several years ago.

Peacocks for $50???!!!!!! That's a little steep!!

$50.00 is a little pricey.....check Cichlid trios. I bought fish from them, they are pretty good. You can get Peacocks for around $30.00 for 1 male/2 females. Shipping prices depend on where you live.

Good Luck ;)

Mikes said:
Is the ammonia method still recommended?

Why isn't it? You can also use salts, NH4Cl, NH4CO3... Don't use NH4NO3 :lol:

You should have some ammonia test, because when you're cycling tank, ammonia level should be ~5mg/l. After nitrite pikes have gone, NO3- level seems to increase and you cannot see those NO2- -pikes anymore when adding NH3, then you tank is cycled (It takes about 3-4 weeks).

After cycling, make huge water changes to get rid of too much NO3- and especially ammonia...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back