Parrot Fish

andy2305

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have had parrot fish for 2 years now and they are great fun watch, i have got 5 red fish and 1 small blue fish few angle as well they all get on very well, but over the last few weeks the large fish are now moving all the gravel into large hills lol, is this normal.

Also i have 1 large fish which is a male !!!! and the rest are female, they seem to chase the male around but nothing has happened as yet.

any help would be great

cheers

Not sure about this.
But I think its a sign of mating.
Well, its a sign of mating where cichlids are concerned.
Dont quote me on that one though.
Im sure someone will let you know.

YF

ya it's true blood parrots will move rocks when they are ready to attempt to breed. they are "cleaning" lol

If you look down on the Hybrid Fish section a little bit, you will see there are quite a few threads on Parrots making mounds of their substrate. It's normal.

Hi All,

I have had parrot fish for 2 years now and they are great fun watch, i have got 5 red fish and 1 small blue fish few angle as well they all get on very well, but over the last few weeks the large fish are now moving all the gravel into large hills lol, is this normal.

Also i have 1 large fish which is a male !!!! and the rest are female, they seem to chase the male around but nothing has happened as yet.

any help would be great

cheers

this is them getting ready to mate, like someone else has put most males are infertile but i have had a male which was fertile but sadly his partner died a couple of months ago. i managed to get 1 spawn out of them and i know he was fertile as before they spawned i put them in my breeding tank alone. you never know you maybe one of the lucky ones.

Hi All,

any help would be great

cheers

this is them getting ready to mate, like someone else has put most males are infertile but i have had a male which was fertile but sadly his partner died a couple of months ago. i managed to get 1 spawn out of them and i know he was fertile as before they spawned i put them in my breeding tank alone. you never know you maybe one of the lucky ones.

Do you have any pictures of the parents/fry?

Most reactions

Back