Parrot Fish, Is This Strange Behavior?

tameem

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
One of my cute parrot fish who is definitely the most dominant one in the tank I noticed that one either side of the opening of the flower pot he uses for his home there is a pile of gravel, piled up in a mound on both sides. has anyone seen this before? why does the fish do this? He definitely does not like any fish in his home. Was just curious if anyone has seen this behavior??

hi, i got four parrots and this is not out of the norm for them.

i have sand in the bottom of mine and they just love rescaping my tank for me, it really quite amusing.
also one of mine quite possibly a female seems to sit on the bottom and flap all her fins to make a right mess, kinda the same when a bird sits in a puddle and has a wash.

but yeah as post above they are territorial, i got a pot and some log type ornaments amd they all dig in, around them etc and use that as a home for a few days then move to the next. but they always make sure they put the sand back to how they found it lol.

happy parroting

if they are like red devils they dig pits and mounds to drop there fry in ,my male still does it now even though his girlfriend died a while ago

aswell as dominance

Perfectly normal. Most cichlids like to rearrange their substrate/decor.

Most reactions

Back