Paradise Fish Has A Missing Scale/white Bump

IxIBluePitIxI

Reaction score
Hello everyone this will be my first post I could use some help here. I've had a 20 gallon tall tank set up in my bedroom for about 3 months now. I cycled the tank using sponge media from my established 40 gallon. Last month I got my first, two fish for the tank one is a pale blue Dwarf Gourami and the other a Paradise Fish aka Jock the Bully. I moved my gourami to my already establish 40 gallon in my living room after 2 weeks, so now it's just my Paradise in the 20 gallon.

I noticed him sitting on the bottom of the tank and thought he maybe sick so I kept a close eye on him and raised the temp in the tank slowly to about 82 degrees I didn't see any feces in the tank its a sand substance with a big piece of driftwood and some java plants for cover in the tank, so when he "goes" you can find it easily. After a 50% water change and the raised temp he seems to doing much better. (Swimming around looking for food and a challenger.)

I haven't seen much feces in a 2 day period and that still bothers me I fed him a pea this morning just in case he was constipated.

Now here's where I really need some advice, over a short time (2 weeks)I have notice a little whitish bum on his side only one and it may be getting slightly worse.

I have the parameters of the water and it looks fine (I think)
All API test results
pH:7.6
ammonia:0
nitrate:< 5 PPM

Here are some pics of Jock the spot was slightly lifted 2 weeks ago(first pic) and now it seems to be getting worse(other two) taken this morning for a week now I have dosed melafix and pimafix.
Jock.jpg

Jock2.jpg

Jock3.jpg

He still spends most of his time challenging his reflection and plucking at the huge piece of driftwood in the tank so I think he fells fine.

I found this picture of a flame var. an online company was selling (I wouldn't buy a fish that looks like this) But Jock's spot looks different
Flamfish.jpg

Hello and welcome. It look's like it might of lost some scales but I would check with other members. Do you have any fish in your tank that may be giving it a hard time? Sorry that was bad advice. Looking at the pictures carefully It might be some sort of fungus. As I said check with more experienced members. I only have a biube! It might be rubbing its self on something. Just an idea

Hello and welcome. It look's like it might of lost some scales but I would check with other members. Do you have any fish in your tank that may be giving it a hard time? Sorry that was bad advice. Looking at the pictures carefully It might be some sort of fungus. As I said check with more experienced members. I only have a biube! It might be rubbing its self on something. Just an idea

You replied :hyper: Thanks any ideas are welcome that's a great idea, he is the only one in a 20 gallon tank I do have a few fishing lines wrapped around a piece of drift/bog wood(attached java). The wood is bowed or caved in the back so the lines are exposed on the back of the wood(line is suspended in the water) I wounder if he's catching his scales on that? I wasn't sure if that could be the problem I'll cut it today just in case. Thanks you may be spot on.

Wish I had a biube those thinks look so modern :drool:

I agree it looks like he has scraped off a few scales. When startled, paradise fish can accidentally scrape against something and lose a scale. Just in case he came in with the start of ich - keep an eye out for the telltale salt crystal look on the body/fins. I doubt it's ich, but he could have scraped the scales off if he was itchy by rubbing against anything in the tank including gravel.

Eric

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back