Overthinker Intervention Needed

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BkkprGal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to start my fishless cycle, but I'm not sure that my tank is ready...

Here's what's happened so far in my 10gal tank:

Sun 1/30 - Added well water, Jungle Start Right water conditioner, and the cleaned decorations/rocks. Added new filter & airstone.
Wed 2/02 - Added 3 tiger barbs
Thurs 2/03 - first death
Fri 2/04 - Morning: second barb flicking around, "panting", lethargic. Evening: second death. Purchased API Quick Start (good bacteria) & API Master Test Kit. Did 20% water change with vacuum, added Quick Start. Tests showed zero for ammonia & nitrite and 6.8pH. Nitrate was 5ppm.
Sat 2/05 - Morning: third fish "panting", fins look white & ragged on edges. Re-read Quick Start bottle and realized that it doesn't condition the water and I hadn't added Start Right conditioner when I did the water change. Added necessary amount to tank. Evening: third death. Didn't test.
(don't judge - the gal at LFS was talking about how little issues are amplified in a 10gal vs 55gal and mentioned IE: if a fish dies, the ammonia levels will jump really high in this small amount of water. So.... I left lifeless #3 in there for 2 days. Meh, didn't help test results)
Sun 2/06 - test was zero ammonia and nitrite. Didn't test nitrate.

I've left the tank alone since then. I purchased the right kind of ammonia and used the Calculator to figure out that I need to add 0.87ml to start the fishless cycle.
Here are my questions/concerns:
  • Tank temp is 64* - can I start the cycle now while I wait for my heater to arrive?
  • It's been 8 days since my last test. Should I test again?
  • Am I right to assume that any good bacteria from the Quick Start has probably died from starvation and I should do a water change with new additives before adding ammonia? And if so, how much water should I change? Or can I just add another 10gallon dose of Quick Start to the existing water?
  • What do you think killed the fish? Did I name them too soon? :rofl:
I'm sending off my well-water this week for bacterial and mineral testing.

I really appreciate your input.

:rip: Chip, Dale & Theodore
20220202_182845.jpg

Here is what I would do, first drain the tank of all the old water.
Second, add in your water and if you have anymore of the bottled bacteria than add in the rest of it plus the water conditioner. And don't worry about the previous bacteria... The bacteria in tanks can go dormant for up to 3 weeks but it does take a while for it to come back after being dormant... This is why you should add fish right after the cycle. Wait 24 hours after filling the tank to add any ammonia and then add it in once the tank is settled. Don't worry about the heater for the start of the cycle. You are getting it soon it sounds like so you can most likely start with no issues... The bacteria does form faster in warmer waters though.

And why did you send off your well water for testing?

Hi Rocky998. I appreciate your input.

We're having issues with sediment coming through the faucets. We're testing the water first before calling a well guy to come check out the mechanics, so we can have that information to discuss with him.

I bought a medium size bottle of the bacteria, so I have plenty. Directions called for just 10ml for 10gal.

You said, "Wait 24 hours after filling the tank to add any ammonia and then add it in once the tank is settled." What do you mean by "... once the tank is settled"? If I'm waiting 24 hours, it should be settled, right?

Hi Rocky998. I appreciate your input.

We're having issues with sediment coming through the faucets. We're testing the water first before calling a well guy to come check out the mechanics, so we can have that information to discuss with him.

I bought a medium size bottle of the bacteria, so I have plenty. Directions called for just 10ml for 10gal.

You said, "Wait 24 hours after filling the tank to add any ammonia and then add it in once the tank is settled." What do you mean by "... once the tank is settled"? If I'm waiting 24 hours, it should be settled, right?
The 24hrs would be the "settling" time... It ensures that any sediment has been cleared and it will also give time for the bottled bacteria to run through the filter and get on decor and the substrate before adding any ammonia....

Directions called for just 10ml for 10gal.
For medications and conditioners along with fertalizers... You should definitely follow the instructions... But there is this guy on YouTube I watch and I have also heard of other people doing this as well but he at first measured out the right amount of bottled bacteria and then looked at the camera and basically was like... "Eh, that doesn't seem like enough".... so he legit dumped a whole large bottle of the stuff in his 55g... I laughed when I saw that... You can't really overdose with the bottled bacteria so literally just dump the rest of what you have into the tank and let that bacteria settle in before adding ammonia.

Now this will make your tank look cycled for the first week... So you will add ammonia and then kaboom it'll be gone maybe in a day and then the nitrites will start going as well... No matter what, have the cycle go for at least 2-3 weeks to really ensure the cycle is done. Cause otherwise in 3 days you may think "Oh yay my tank is cycled" and then add fish and then they die... People have done it on here before... Not a good ending...

Firstly, it's too early to add new fish after just a few days of fishless cycle.
Usually it requires 2-3 weeks of fishless cycle with frequent testing of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level.
Please refer to the attached link below for more information.

The beneficial bacteria in your tank is too little at the moment.

If you read the API Quick Start study, you will need at least 18 days to have enough "ammonia removing bacteria" and 24 days for "nitrite removing bacteria" in your tank depending on your stock level.
Note: During this period, do not clean your filter media.

Add about 2ppm of ammonia during the fishless cycle.

When your heater arrive, set the temperature to 77-86 F (25-30 C) for quicker bacteria growth.

More info about fishless cycle:

You can search this forum for the past discussions on fishless cycle.

Lastly, remember to add the water conditioner before adding the Quick Start so as not to kill the bacteria.
You can use a big bucket to pre-mix the water conditioner and your tap water before adding them into your tank since your tank isn't big.
And do a large water change(70% or more) before adding any fish after your tank is fully cycled.

Attachments

• Quick-start-study.pdf
    662.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I don't know what your opinion is on live plants, but they're incredibly helpful when keeping fish. Might be worth considering. And if you do, go for something like anacharis aka elodea densa, which is a fast growing, nitrogen sapping weed.

Most reactions

Back