Over Filtering.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Lord Zogat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank and it came with a filter called 20 - 40, It is suppose to be for 20 to 40 gallon tanks.

I am planning on water bridging two tanks a 20 and a 10 just for the fun of it,. The 10 gallon will just have a few plants and is basically an extension to give the bridge somewhere to go.

So the two tanks will be 30 gallon total plus 1 - 3 gallons for the water bridge.

Would you think the 20-40 filter would be good enough to handle both tanks? Or should I get a second filter for the small tank as well?

I will be putting the return on the big filter in the big tank and it will be drawing water from the small tank thus forming a water cycle from one tank to the next.

Also my heater is for a 25 gallon tank so I will need a second one to help I think. I might as well set it up before I start my fishless cycle.

I have a 20 gallon tank and it came with a filter called 20 - 40, It is suppose to be for 20 to 40 gallon tanks.

I am planning on water bridging two tanks a 20 and a 10 just for the fun of it,. The 10 gallon will just have a few plants and is basically an extension to give the bridge somewhere to go.

So the two tanks will be 30 gallon total plus 1 - 3 gallons for the water bridge.

Would you think the 20-40 filter would be good enough to handle both tanks? Or should I get a second filter for the small tank as well?

I will be putting the return on the big filter in the big tank and it will be drawing water from the small tank thus forming a water cycle from one tank to the next.

Also my heater is for a 25 gallon tank so I will need a second one to help I think. I might as well set it up before I start my fishless cycle.

No suggestions?

I've seen people do this with a series of smaller tanks & a large canister filter. If one of the bridges loses it's siphoning ability, you have a water leakage situation. Water changes can get tricky. If your tanks are in a warmer area, the heater should work, 150 watts would be ideal, 100 watts should work ok.

I saw a setup with 4 or 5 10 gallon tanks bridged & a magnum 350 filtering them all. The first in the series was packed with driftwood, no fish. I believe it was a rainbow breeding setup, it was a while ago.

Most reactions

Back