Oscar Babies!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Courtney Hacker

Reaction score
at my work we have very large tank with about 7 oscars. 2 black oscars had babies and a BUNCH of them! help help help. we dont want them to get eaten or just die!

Do you have a breeder box? If you do, collect all the babies and put them in there. If you don't have a breeder box, then you can take some tank water and put it in a clean container. Collect the babies and put hem in there. Is there a pet store anywhere nearby? You or someone else should get a breeder box as soon as possible. The babies won't get enough oxygen in the container. Good luck!

Do you have a breeder box? If you do, collect all the babies and put them in there. If you don't have a breeder box, then you can take some tank water and put it in a clean container. Collect the babies and put hem in there. Is there a pet store anywhere nearby? You or someone else should get a breeder box as soon as possible. The babies won't get enough oxygen in the container. Good luck!
we dont have a breeder box and unfortunately my boss is cheap so ill be financially taking care of the babies. thank you for the tips

Unless you have space for 500-1000+ baby Oscars, do not even bother trying to keep them all alive.

Unless you have a pet shop that is willing to buy or take the baby Oscars off you, don't even bother trying to rear all of them up.

Leave the adults to look after them and in a couple of weeks, catch out 10-20 young fish that are normal and not missing any bits, and rear them up.

A few weeks after the babies have been removed, the adults will usually breed again.

PetSmart also advertises this as a quarantine box - a place to put your injured or diseased fish. I can understand putting an injured fish in there -but one with disease? What would be the point? How many diseases require "intimate" content vs those that just have to be in contact with the same water. I guess it might prevent worms from getting through? But it wouldn't stop a microscopic parasite.

Also what % of aquarists have a true quarantine box ready to go at any time. The books make you feel like a complete failure if you don't have one. I mean, assuming I had the space and the money - I could set up a small aquarium and just let it sit empty but I'd bet you if I didn't use it within a month I'd be buying and adding new fish for it.

Congratulations on the baby Oscars - if it were me I'd be buying a whole tank setup and trying to save them all LOL. As they grew I'd end up with a fleet of tanks devoted to Oscars.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back