Now this interesting...

I thought this part was really interesting too:

"Only the males of the species make this sound, and they only do it in company. Some are louder than others.
"We know that when you have maybe like eight males together in a large tank, then three of them will dominate the sound production and the other ones will be quiet. So we think there is some sort of hierarchy," Ms Cook said.
The researchers believe that evolving in murky waters in Myanmar played a role in the development of this ability to make a big noise to help them communicate."

I wonder how many tiny fish have the brain complexity to form hierarchies? Or what the other major assumptions about the fish we currently keep, are wrong.

There are studies showing Gambusia affinis can count, and decide which way to go by counting black spots on passageways in mazes they haven't been in before. Degrees of intelligence, whatever that is, evolved early.

Well, I don't know.

Here we are in the scientific section attempting to have a mature and intelligent discussion about sciencey stuff, using Latin and all that, and about how incredible the natural world is, and all there is left to discover in these fascinating little creatures we keep... Gary is even linking articles and things! It's science, meets philosophy, meets ethics and about the breadth, beautify and wonder still being discovered, sometimes by happenstance...

and here you all are. Making.... jokes!
I'm naming mine Ringo.

"I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY 'FIN' GERS!"

Honestly. I would think a moderator, even if she dislikes plecos, and an ex-moderator, making jokes!! Wow, just wow. Just because you are funny, and I also laughed, doesn't mean this is acceptable. I am shocked and appalled. Shocked and appalled, I say!

*sniff*

You just can't get the staff, these days.

I'm also kidding in the post above, please don't swing @Fishmanic 's shiny new banhammer at me! I like the jokes!

Here's a fish you can get, so that you can have a quiet tank... I mean, you won't hear the filter!
Extra points given to you, or anyone else, who can look at the photo of the transparent and loud little fish linked in the original BBC article, who can tell me what that thick but short worm like bit inside the transparent fish that isn't transparent, actually is?

The gut, I'd expect. You can see the swim bladders too. I marvel at my daughter's canary and his volume. That guy may have it beaten.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back