not successful introducing new fish HELP!!!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

abelh7

Reaction score
i have a 55 gallon that i set up about 6 months ago i have a pleco, blood parrot, and a jack dempsey. i tried introducing a new tiger oscar and he died this is the third time this has happend my water readings are fine, i checked. i think it has something to do between the pet store and the release. from the pet stroe to the house it is about an hour but the pet stores say thats enough time. it seems that everytime as soon as i release the fish they start acting weird then starting floating around life less then in the next day or two they are dead. i think i am doing everything right i float the bag for fifteen minutes for them to adjust then i let them out and it goes down hill from there. maybe you guys have different methods that you could share.

Hi, :D

try reposting this in the New World cichlid section.

You will probably get some expert advice there.

TBR

You couldnt add a Tiger Oscar even if you tryed, theres no way in hell the jack and Blood parrot would let him in the tank they would attack him in a couple of days.

Please read the pinned topic in the "New World Cichlids" forum

I agree with Vip. You really don't have any room for more territory in a 55. I would leave it as is and just enjoy the fish you have. Sorry about the oscar though :/

I agree that you do not have room in there for an oscar but anyway

acclimating a new fish is more than just letting him sit in the bag 15 minutes and releasing him

Let him sit in the tank as long as it takes for the temperature to adjust. Then open the bag and pour a bit of water in it, about 1/4 of what is in the bag already. wait 30 minutes at least and repeat until the bag is full

when it is full, net the fish out of the bag and release him, throw the water in the bag away

if there is a big spec difference between your water and the store's, this will help the fish acclimate to your water specs and therefore make him less likely to die

well i took the dead fish back to petsmart and they gave me another. so far it is doing alright but well see.

Most reactions

Back