Not really an emergency… but time to talk about Rudolph…

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So in my group of Denison barbs, I received Rudolph… it actually looks like it had a sore nose, I think it’s a growth, or scare tissue??? The fish eats well, and is active and interacts with its shoal mates, but with the “rose line stripe” ending in this growth… well, you might even say it glows… it’s not changed size or shape in the more than 6 months I’ve had the fish, so I don’t think it’s bacterial… it’s in my Asian tank, and everyone is doing well in that tank… I’ll see if I can grab a picture…1st 2 are of the fish with the messed up nose… they normally have a red nose, 3rd picture is one of the normal ones… now that I have the quarantine/ hospital tanks going, if we think this is treatable, I can catch him out and move him to a hospital tank
IMG_4686.jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg
IMG_4688.jpeg

Last edited:
Rudolph's in trouble. It looks like a tumour, but looks like is pretty imprecise. Maybe that little elf dentist was practicing on him.

With luck it'll be benign and slow growing.

It could also be one of the weird viruses that show up. Either way, I see no treatment. If he dies, get him out fast in case it spreads via cannibalism.

Trying to look at it closely, it almost looks like maybe an old injury from shipping or ??? But since these are now farmed, no telling what it was exposed to… doesn’t seem to be effecting the fish, or growing in the last 6 months… looks inflamed, but that could just be the “rose line” cells on that area of the fish???

Now that I have hospital tanks, if we thought it could be helped by treatment, I’m at least in a position now, that it could be moved

It looks to me like an old injury that's healed over. If he's had it for six months with no changes, it probably isn't anything to worry too much about. Just keep an eye on it, and if it changes of if the fish dies, remove it quickly.

Most reactions

Back