Nitrites and ammonia!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_face

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My small 34 litre (7.5gal ish) tank is not completely established yet. As you can see from my signature, I have 3 platys and 3 small corys (added a few days ago) in it at the mo. I am planning on moving the corys to my large 350 litre (75 gal) tank soon.

I just tested the small tank and my nitrites are up to between 0.3 and 0.8 while the ammonia is up to 1.5! I've never had ammonia before! I've just completed a 20% ish water change.

Should I move the corys (and/or the platys) to the large established tank now even though they seem fine at the mo, or continue with water changes? I can do one tomorrow morning and evening.

By the way, will the corys be ok with my clown loaches?

Thanks guys :crazy:

I would move the corys to the bigger tank, platys are quite hardy but keep an eye on them, if you remove the corys maybe add some aquarium salt to the little tank to help the platys out.

Sorry, how big are the clown loaches to the corys.

The corys are about 3quarters of an inch and the clown loach are about 1 and a half inches.

Clown loaches are peaceful fish, but if another fish is big enough to fit into there mouths, well you never no.

Take some filter media from the established tank and/or gravel and put it in your small 7 gallon. Do a 90% water change (with dechlorinated water) while you are at it.

The clown loaches probably can't eat the cories at that size I don't think (the cories are about half their size aren't they?). I think moving them to the bigger tank is a good idea anyway. Watch them though - if they are pygmy/dwarf cories - the clown loaches will eventualy be large enough to eat them. If they are ordinary-sized cories (will get to 2-3") they should be fine with the loaches for several more years.

Thanks guys, I have moved the corys and they look happy in the large tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back