Nitrates

jrd77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In both of my tanks (in signiture) the pH is consitantly neutral, ammonia 0 and nitrite 0. How then is it possible that my nitrates are always between 12.5 adn 25 mg/L? I have had these tanks up and running for about a year and a half. I change 25-30% of the water about once a week and in my opinion do not overfeed, especially in the smaller 10 gallon. Is this high nitrate level bad for my fish? If so, what should I do?

"How then is it possible that my nitrates are always between 12.5 adn 25 mg/L? "

Well it simply means ... your rate of dilution via water changes is close to nitrate production via the nitrogen cycle. In other words your doing a good job at maintaining stable values. Whats your tap water Nitrates ? Mine are 0 ppm but some here say they have Nitrates in their tap water... if thats your case then this can add to your Nitrate budget.

My test kit claims below 40 ppm is an OK level ... I really don't know myself ... I'd imagine it varies with species and other water conditions.

Good Day .....

My tap water over here in Southern England is 50ppm, but luckily I manage to get it down to 25ppm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back